Home > News > Press Releases > 2010 > BUSINESS LEADERS, LISTENING SESSIONS TO HIGHLIGHT ANNUAL STATE AGRICULTURAL CONVENTION
BUSINESS LEADERS, LISTENING SESSIONS TO HIGHLIGHT ANNUAL STATE AGRICULTURAL CONVENTION
Agriculture’s Importance to NJ’s Economy to be StressedFor Immediate Release: February 5, 2010
Contact: Lynne Richmond
(609) 633-2954 or (609) 610-3526 cell
(TRENTON) – Two giants in New Jersey’s business community will address more than 200 representatives of county agriculture boards, Pomona granges, breed and commodity organizations, and other members of the agriculture community at the 2010 Annual New Jersey State Agricultural Convention, being held February 9 and 10 at the Hilton Hotel East Brunswick, 3 Tower Center Blvd., East Brunswick, NJ.
On Tuesday, Ralph Izzo, Chairman of the Board, President and Chief Executive Officer of Public Service Enterprise Group, one of the 10 largest electric companies in the United States and a leader in alternative energy policy and research, will talk about the future of energy production and how farmers might be part of the solution.
Also on Tuesday, Kelly Johnston, Vice President of Government Affairs for Campbell’s Soup Company, a food conglomerate based in New Jersey, will address the issue of food safety and possible federal regulations that will impact the agriculture industry.
New to the convention this year are four listening sessions on: Green Energy, Right to Farm, Water Allocations and Farmland Preservation -- major issues farmers deal with on a daily basis. These open public forums will give those in the agriculture industry the opportunity to share their experiences on the ground and suggest regulatory changes that will allow their operations to grow in the 21st century.
The convention is the largest annual gathering of the state’s agricultural industry. The delegates will discuss issues affecting the industry, help set agricultural policy for the coming year and determine the new members of the State Board of Agriculture.
Highlights of the convention include:
- Remarks by Kelly Johnston, VP Government Affairs, Campbell’s Soup – 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, February 9
- Remarks by Ralph Izzo, Chairman, President, CEO PSEG – 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 9
- Green Energy Listening Session – 11 a.m. Tuesday, February 9
- Right to Farm Listening Session – 2 p.m. Tuesday, February 9
- Governor Chris Christie addresses Delegates’ Dinner – 7 p.m. Tuesday, February 9
- Water Allocations Listening Session – 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, February 10
- Remarks by Julie Paradis, Administrator USDA Food and Nutrition Service – 12 noon, Wednesday, February 10
- Farmland Preservation Listening Session – 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, February 10
A complete agenda for the convention is available on the Department’s website at: www.nj.gov/agriculture/pdf/10programflyer.pdf