Project requires ramp closure and full closure next week
(Trenton) – New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced overnight closures of the Route 1 Business northbound exit ramp and the full closure of Route 1 southbound next week for a construction project to replace two bridge decks on Route 1 Business ramps in Trenton, Mercer County.
Route 1 northbound exit ramp closure
Beginning at 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning, the nights of Monday, March 20, Tuesday, March 21, and Wednesday, March 22, NJDOT’s contractor South State, Inc., is scheduled to close the exit ramp from Route 1 northbound to Route 1 Business and Route 206/Strawberry Street/Lawrenceville to remove the existing median barrier in preparation for the upcoming bridge deck replacement work. The following signed detours will be in place to direct motorists to Whitehead Road during the overnight closures:
Detour (From 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. the next morning)
Vehicles on Route 1 northbound will need to stay right immediately following the Route 1 Business and Route/206/Strawberry Street/Lawrenceville exit
- From Route 1 North, motorists will be directed to take the next exit onto Whitehead Road
- At the fork on Whitehead Road, make a left and continue until the Route 1 Business/Brunswick Avenue intersection
- Make a left onto Route 1 Business southbound/Brunswick Avenue and follow to the Brunswick Avenue Circle
Route 1 southbound closure
Beginning at 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next morning, the nights of Wednesday, March 22, Thursday, March 23, and Friday, March 24, NJDOT’s contractor is scheduled to close Route 1 southbound after the Whitehead Road exit ramp to remove existing steel plates in preparation for the upcoming bridge deck replacement work. The following signed detours will be in place to direct motorists to Whitehead Road during the overnight closures:
Whitehead Road to Route 1 southbound Detour (From 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next morning)
- Vehicles on Whitehead Road wishing to take Route 1 southbound will be directed to take Route 1 northbound, and make a U-Turn at Bakers Basin Road onto Route 1 southbound and follow the Route 1 southbound full closure detour listed below
Route 1 southbound full closure detour (via Whitehead Road) (From 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next morning)
- All vehicles on Route 1 southbound will be directed to exit onto Whitehead Road
- From Whitehead Road, motorists will make a left at the fork and continue to the Route 1 Business traffic light intersection
- At the intersection, make a left onto Route 1 Business southbound
- Continue on Route 1 Business southbound/Brunswick Avenue until the Brunswick Avenue Circle
- Take the Strawberry Street exit on the circle to continue back onto Route 1 southbound
The $7.6 million federally-funded Route 1 Business over New York Avenue and Route 1 Business over Route 1 southbound/D&R Canal project will replace two structurally-deficient bridge decks on Route 1 Business in Trenton. One ramp is on Route 1 Business over New York Avenue, and the other is Route 1 Business over Route 1 southbound/D&R Canal. The project will replace the bridge decks with new pour-in-place concrete bridge deck panels, parapets, guiderail and lighting. The project will be completed in stages with the majority of work being done overnight or on weekends to minimize impacts on motorists. The project which began in the fall of 2016 is expected to be completed by summer 2018.
Variable message signs and lane closure signs will be utilized throughout the project limits to provide advance notification to motorists of all traffic pattern changes associated with the deck replacement project. Throughout the project, NJDOT will provide information before upcoming road closures.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.