MEDIA CONTACT: Julie Willmot
(609) 278-7137
(609) 218-4314

TRENTON, N.J. - As Mercer County families continue to recover from the effects of Hurricane Sandy, Mercer County Executive Brian M. Hughes announced that Mercer County will set up an in-person registration site for residents to apply for assistance or reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Mercer County public entities such as governments and schools were declared eligible for assistance soon after the historic storm struck the region, and Hughes immediately called for assistance to families and individuals. “Mercer County families are hurting and deserve an opportunity to make themselves whole again, and I applaud President Obama for approving Individual Assistance for Mercer County, and ensuring an opportunity for our families to seek federal disaster relief for expenses and repairs not covered by their homeowner’s insurance,” Hughes said.

Eligibility allows Mercer County residents to apply for different types of assistance, including temporary housing, repair, replacement or other needs such as Disaster Unemployment Assistance, and Small Business Administration disaster loans.

Disaster Recovery Centers (DRCs) are sites where people can meet in person with FEMA and U.S. Small Business Administration representatives to apply for funding or to get answers to questions. Mercer County will open a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) at Mercer County Community College (MCCC) in the Fine Arts Building beginning 8 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 11, to assist residents and businesses whose properties were damaged by Hurricane Sandy. The FEMA site will operate seven days a week, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., until FEMA determines it has reached those who seek potential reimbursement, usually 4 to 6 weeks.

Signs will be posted on the MCCC campus directing people to the Fine Arts Building and the FEMA DRC. Reserved parking areas also will be marked. The West Windsor College Campus is accessible by public transportation. People living in Trenton who need transportation to the West Windsor campus may take the hourly shuttle bus from the Trenton Kerney Campus to the West Windsor campus. Those wishing to take the shuttle must check in with security at the Kerney Campus before riding. The Kerney Campus is at North Broad and Academy streets, Trenton. The shuttle will run Monday-Saturday.

The DRC will be staffed by FEMA representatives who can provide information on FEMA disaster aid and answer questions. The DRC will be open to residents and businesses from every municipality in Mercer County. Homeowners, renters and business owners who suffered damage must bring with them a list of materials or goods lost or damaged as a result of the storm.

“We want to let our hardworking residents and business owners here in Mercer County know that we are here to help get them back on their feet after this historic hurricane,” said Hughes.

Residents who registered for assistance via the Internet or by phone do not need to visit the DRC, but can ask questions or seek further information there. Residents do not need to schedule an appointment to visit the center at Mercer County Community College.
Some of the services that a DRC may provide:
  • Guidance regarding disaster recovery
  • Clarification of any written correspondence received
  • Housing Assistance and Rental Resource information
  • Answers to questions, resolution to problems and referrals to agencies that may provide further assistance
  • Status of applications being processed by FEMA
  • SBA program information if there is an SBA representative at the Disaster Recovery Center site
top of page 01
The eligibility for FEMA Individual Assistance means residents or business owners whose properties were directly damaged by Hurricane Sandy events can apply to recoup their losses. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) cannot be filed at the DRC.

Affected residents and business owners can begin the disaster application process by registering online at or or registering by phone at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired.

Specialists are standing by at the toll-free numbers seven days a week, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time, until further notice. Help in languages other than English is available. You can also apply through a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone by visiting and following the link to "apply online for federal assistance."
top of page 01