Boiler and Indirect Fired Process Heater
Annual Combustion Process Adjustment
Electronic Submittal Instructions
The annual adjustment and submittal requirement applies to your equipment if:
• It is a boiler with maximum heat input rate of 5 million BTU/hr or more;
• It is an indirect fired process heater (also know as an indirect heat exchanger) with maximum heat input rate of 5 million BTU/hr or more.
The entire NOx RACT rule is available on the Division of Air Quality's rules page.
All boilers and indirect fired process heaters with heat input rate greater than or equal to 5 million BTU/hr must have an annual adjustment to the combustion process performed beginning in 2010. The specifics on what must be included in the adjustment process are included in NJAC 7:27-19.16(a) in the specific rule requirements
You must maintain records of the annual adjustment on site for at least 5 years as specified in NJAC 7:27-19.16(b) in the specific rule requirements.
In accordance with the following schedule from NJAC 7:27-19.16(d), you must submit certain information from the annual adjustment electronically to the Department:
- For an industrial/commercial/institutional boiler or other indirect heat exchanger with a maximum gross heat input rate of at least five million but less than 10 million BTU per hour, beginning in 2012;
- For an industrial/commercial/institutional boiler or other indirect heat exchanger with a maximum gross heat input rate of at least 10 million but less than 20 million BTU per hour, beginning in 2010; and
- For an industrial/commercial/institutional boiler or other indirect heat exchanger with a maximum gross heat input rate of at least 20 million BTU per hour or greater, beginning in 2009.
Additional information on performing a combustion adjustment can be found in the Department's Technical Manual 1005.
The Department has also made available detailed instructions on How To Submit a NOx RACT Combustion Adjustment Report to the Department.
Following is a brief list of the steps necessary to electronically submit an annual combustion adjustment report. Detailed instructions can be found in the "How To Submit" document at the link above.
Step A:You must obtain a MyNJ account, if you do not already have one.
Step B:You must obtain an NJ DEP Online user ID, if you do not already have one.
See NJ DEP Online instructions for more details on steps A & B. You only need to complete steps A & B once.
Steps 1 and 2: Create a NOx RACT Combustion Adjustment service in NJ DEP Online, and select your facility.
Step 3: Add contact information to the service.
Step 4: Select the boiler(s) (and/or other equipment) that were adjusted from the list of available equipment, taken from your existing air pollution control permits.
Step 5: Enter the required adjustment data for each piece of equipment selected in Step 4.
Step 6: Certify the submittal. Upon certification, the NOx RACT Combustion Adjustment is automatically submitted and you will be able to print a copy for yourself.
See How To Submit a NOx RACT Combustion Adjustment Report for more details on steps 1 -6. You will need to complete steps 1 - 6 each calendar year.