Comment on Proposed Game Code Amendments
May 6, 2011
The NJDEP Division of Fish and Wildife is encouraging the public to review and comment on the proposed Game Code amendments for the 2011-2012 hunting and trapping seasons. The Game Code governs the activities relating to the taking of wildlife classified as game animals, game birds, or furbearers.
The public comment period is open until June 30, 2011. Comments can be submitted in writing or via an online form. Additionally, a public hearing will be held Tuesday, May 17, 2011 at 6:30 pm at the NJ State Museum, 205 West State Street, Trenton, NJ 08625.
Proposed changes include, but are not limited to, the following:
For more information on submitting comments, and to view the full proposal document, see the Notice of Rule Proposal at www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/050211a.html on the DEP website.
- The addition of five days to the rabbit and hare hunting season
- A statewide closure of the bobwhite quail season, with the exception of the Greenwood and Peaslee WMAS and existing semi-wild and commercial shooting preserves
- The elimination of separate black bear hunting seminars as bear hunting will now be included in the regular hunter education classes
- The creation of special black bear farmer permits
- The addition of a second Saturday to the fall turkey hunting season
- Expansion of the early bow and arrow-only coyote and fox season, and regular coyote and fox season dates
- Removal of the requirement for youth hunters to take an antlerless deer before an antlered deer during the early fall bow deer season
- Inclusion of five additional deer management zones (DMZ) into the Antler Point Restriction program
- Creation of a new deer regulation set
- Boundary changes to DMZs 19, 23, 25 and 65
For more information on the Game Code process, see www.njfishandwildlife.com/codechange.htm on the division's website.