GENERAL PERMIT 9 – Construction of Support Facilities at Legally Existing and Operating Marinas
General Permit 9 authorizes construction of support facilities at legally existing and operating commercial marinas including marinas operated by public agencies, commissions and authorities, provided:
- The marina complies with N.J.A.C. 7:7-15.3(d), the standards relevant to the construction of marinas;
- Public access is provided in accordance with the lands and waters subject to Public trust rights rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-9.48, and the Public access rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-16.9;
- The development is consistent with the Water Quality Management Plan adopted pursuant to N.J.A.C. 7:15; and
- The development meets the Flood hazard area requirements at N.J.A.C. 7:7-9.25.
The support facilities authorized by the General Permit 9 are identified below. The requirements for each activity can be located at N.J.A.C. 7:7-6.9(b)1 through 6.
- Boat rack systems/marina support buildings including, but not limited to, showroom, maintenance/repair, marine supplies, bait/tackle, boat sales, dock masters office buildings, sheds, and storage, excluding residential development
- Restroom facilities
- Fences, water lines and new sewer lines to connect restrooms, pumpout facilities, and/or pumpout support facilities to existing sewer lines
- Gasoline pump(s) and associated pipes and tanks on the upland portion of the marina
- Boat handling facilities including, but not limited to, winches, gantries, railways, platforms and lifts, hoists, cranes, fork lifts and ramps
- The one time construction of a single marina support building not exceeding a footprint of 120 sq. ft. provided the building is located on the upland portion of the marina and is not located within wetlands.
Full details are provided at N.J.A.C.7:7-6.9.
If your project does not meet the requirements of the General Permit 9, it may qualify for another General Permit, Permit-by-rule, or an Individual Permit. Additional information on these permit types can be found on the Coastal Permitting page.