CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION ANNOUNCES THE START OF WORK ON
PROTECTIVE SHEET PILE PROJECT IN MANTOLOKING AND BRICK
INFRASTRUCTURE PROTECTION PROJECT, DESIGNED TO HELP SAFEGUARD ROUTE
35 AND LOCAL COMMUNITIES, TO BE COMPLETED IN THE FALL
(14/P73) TRENTON – A Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) project to install four miles of steel sheet piling into the beaches of Mantoloking and Brick to protect Route 35 and nearby homes and businesses from future severe storms began today, Commissioner Bob Martin announced in Mantoloking.
The steel sheeting project will complement an impending engineered beach and dune system planned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to bolster storm protections for nine coastal towns on the northern Ocean County peninsula.
Installation of the first steel sheet started today at Herbert Street in Mantoloking, near the foot of the Mantoloking Bridge, and will continue throughout Mantoloking and coastal Brick Township throughout the summer.
“This project will help protect a segment of coastline that was breached during Superstorm Sandy, especially offering protection to Route 35 and residents and businesses that were battered by Sandy,” said Commissioner Martin. “Coupled with the forthcoming coastal protection project by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, this particularly vulnerable section of the Jersey Shore will be more resilient for future severe weather events.”
“It is important to get this project started now and completed as quickly as possible,’’ added Commissioner Martin.
The $23.8 million publicly bid sheet piling contract was issued to EIC Associates of Springfield Township in Union County for the construction and installation of the steel walls. The project is being staged at two locations, one each in Brick and Mantoloking.
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has committed to pay 80 percent of the cost of the project from Sandy Emergency Relief funds. The state is funding the remaining 20 percent of the project costs through its Shore Protection Funds. There is no cost to the towns.
The 45-foot high steel sheets will be driven 30 feet into the ground on the landward back slant of the beach’s dune. Workers will replace the sand in front of the steel, but leave a minimum of one foot between the top of the steel and sand level. That portion later will be covered by the Army Corps’ comprehensive coastal protection system, which will see dunes raised 22 feet above sea level.
From today’s starting point, crews will work daily to move the project both north and south, with anticipated installation of about 150 feet of steel per day. Homeowners and businesses in the vicinity of the work will receive prior notification of when crews will be working on or near their property. Work hours will stretch from 6:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Work zones will be created to ensure the public’s safety.
"This project, coupled with the upcoming Army Corps’ beach and dune project, will provide our residents and the people of this entire region with long term protection and some peace of mind, especially as our residents continue their post-Sandy rebuilding efforts,” said Mantoloking Mayor George C. Nebel. “The installation of this steel wall may be temporarily disruptive. But these inconveniences pale in comparison to the long-term benefits the project will provide. We are delighted that the project is finally underway."
“This project is essential to the protection of our community during future severe weather events,” said Brick Mayor John Ducey. “While we understand that some residents may have concerns about the project’s impact during the summer, any short-term inconveniences will be outweighed by the long-term benefits and protections the project will provide.”
Superstorm Sandy destroyed the dune system and flooded the highway along this stretch of northern Ocean County. The sheet piling infrastructure protection project will extend from Lyman Street in Mantoloking south to the southern end of coastal Brick.
The DEP has completed state environmental reviews for its project design, and entered into future maintenance agreements with Mantoloking and Brick townships. Right-of-way easements also have been secured, with the assistance of the municipalities.
For a DEP Bureau of Coastal Engineering Power Point Presentation on the project, visit
For more on the DEP’s Bureau of Coastal Engineering, visit:
For more on the state’s Route 35 Reconstruction Project, visit: www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/552013/approved/20130702b.html
For more on the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers beach replenishment program in northern Ocean County, visit: www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Factsheets/FactSheetArticleView/tabid/4694/Article/6450/new-jersey-shore-protection-manasquan-inlet-to-barnegat-inlet-nj.aspx