New Bridge Landing was the site of a pivotal bridge crossing the Hackensack River where General George Washington led his troops in retreat from British forces. The area is now a New Jersey historic site and park that spans the Hackensack River at the intersection of four municipalities (River Edge, New Milford, Teaneck and Hackensack) and encompasses municipal, county and state-owned resources.
Built in 1752 by merchant Jan Zabriskie, the Steuben House witnessed the crossing of General George Washington and the American garrison of Fort Lee across the Hackensack River during their infamous November 20, 1776 retreat. Because of this strategic position on the banks of the river at the New Bridge, the Steuben House survived throughout the American Revolution and was used by both Colonial and British soldiers.
The confiscated mansion once served as a military headquarters for General Washington and was later presented to Major General Baron von Steuben as thanks for his efforts during the War for Independence.
Listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places, the Steuben House is administered by the Division of Parks & Forestry.
In addition to the Steuben House, Historic New Bridge Landing hosts two historic houses moved to the park. The two houses are the Demarest House (owned and managed by the Blauvelt-Demarest Foundation) and the Campbell-Christie House (owned by the County of Bergen, managed by the Bergen County Historical Society). Only the Steuben House is in its original location.
In 1995 the Historic New Bridge Landing Park Commission was formed to bring the varied stakeholders of the site together to discuss a joint plan to promote the historic structures and land as well as work on coordinated projects of mutual interest.