School Radon Testing Program
School Exemption Renewal Procedure
NOTE: All Exemptions have expired as of September 2010!
School officials may choose to renew their previous exemption from state certification requirements to conduct radon testing in their schools, rather than contract the testing to a certified radon testing business. This will result in lower costs; it will also shift the responsibility for proper testing to the school official and district.
The exemption that is given by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) for testing in schools allows only the individual that completes the training course and receives the exemption to test schools in his/her school district. Should the individual become employed by another district, the exemption is NOT transferable. The exemption is not transferable to any other individual and no individual may assist with any portion of the testing unless he/she also has an exemption within the same district.
The exempted individual is responsible for following the required testing guidance and should understand the seriousness of the testing for which he/she is responsible. The data will be forwarded to the DEP by the measurement business from which the testing devices are obtained. The data will be maintained on file and in the Radon Section database.
The exemption provides the individual with an identification number that must be used when conducting testing and filling out all testing forms. The number will be tracked by the DEP and used as identification to show who deployed and retrieved the device. In addition, the county, district and school codes must be entered on all test forms
To renew an exemption from the certification requirements established under N.J.S.A. 26:2D-70 et seq., school officials must do the following:
- Complete DEP-approved refresher training. The refresher training is located on the Radon Section website at www.Njradon.org. After reviewing the material, an application must be filled out and submitted, including a verification statement that the material was actually reviewed.
- Submit an application to the DEP for exemption. The application will require the signature of the District Superintendent/Chief School Administrator verifying that the individual is authorized by the district to perform radon testing in compliance with EPA and DEP testing requirements. It also requires the school official’s signature verifying that the material was reviewed.
- When the application is approved, the same identification number will be re-activated. Use the identification number for all radon testing paperwork.
- Obtain test devices from a certified radon measurement business that is certified for school testing. A list of these businesses is provided under Certified Radon Testing Businesses in New Jersey, or can be obtained by contacting the DEP Radon Section at (800) 648-0394
- Conduct the testing in accordance with School Radon Testing Program: Summary of Requirements (PDF), and Radon Measurement in Schools (Revised Edition), EPA 402-R-92-014, July 1993, available from the USEPA at (800) 490-9198. Also read the Important Testing Considerations for some lessons that were learned from the review of all of the school testing data.
EPA School Document Links
- Radon Measurements in Schools - EPA 402-R-92-014
- Reducing Radon in Schools - A Team Approach [EPA 402-R-94-008, April 1994] (Out of Print: Available only in PDF through NSCEP.
Please print out this Confirmation form and submit to :
New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
Mail Code 25-01
P.O. Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420
The form may also be faxed to the Radon section at (609) 984-5595 or emailed to email@example.com.
If you have any questions on the above, please contact the DEP Radon Section at (800) 648-0394.