Due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, access to Island Beach State Park facilities remains limited. Educational interpretive programs are now available off-site for interested groups and schools in Ocean and Monmouth counties.
Island Beach State Park Outreach Programs features a variety of interactive and educational activities for all ages. Students, scouts, seniors, community groups, and organizations are all welcome to participate in these programs that highlight the barrier beach ecosystem and the diversity of wildlife found within the Barnegat Bay watershed. See the Calendar of Events here.
An Island Beach State Park educator will bring the beach to you through the park's hands-on, touring outreach programs.
- Island Beach State Park program themes include:
- Scales and Tails: Explore the many adaptations of Island Beach State Park's resident animals that allow them to survive in their unique barrier beach environment. Live animals, including our special Diamonback Terrapin, will provide an unforgettable learning experience.
- Birds of Island Beach: The park is home to a wide variety of birds, including songbirds, wading birds, shorebirds and raptors. Explore the diversity of nests, hunting techniques, songs and behaviors that allow them to co-exist in the barrier beach ecosystem.
- Shells on the Shore: Created by the very animals that call them "home", shells provide protection from the harsh conditions of the environment, including hungry predators. Explore the diversity of shells and the animals who made them, all found at Island Beach State Park!
- Island Beach State Park Interpretive Programs are sponsored by Conserve Wildlife Foundation and the Friends of Island Beach State Park.
- The touring educational programs last for an hour and cost $85. A maximum of 25 participants is allowed per program. Larger groups can be accommodated by scheduling consecutive programs. An additional consecutive program on the same topic is $50.
Schools, scouts, youth groups, general public
Island Beach State Park
PO Box 37
Seaside Park NJ 08752
Park Naturalist: 732-793-0506
Friends Homepage: www.friendsofislandbeach.org/
New Programs for 2014
Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ
Teachers' Guide to Educational Programs with New Jersey State Parks, Forests, Recreation Areas, Historic Sites and the Forest Resource Education Center