Frameworks in Use by Various Groups
Over the past year, the Department has worked with teams of accomplished professionals from several groups representing educators in specialized roles. This collaboration has resulted in the creation of role-specific evaluation instruments that districts may choose to adopt. While the Department does not require the use of these instruments, we support the educator groups in their efforts to promote the use of tools that address the specific job responsibilities of their members. As the Department continues to develop guidance for staff members in specialized roles, we will continue to learn from these groups and their partner districts during their first year of utilizing these evaluation instruments, which are listed below:
Overview, Training, and SGO Development
- SGO Overview (PDF): A 2-page overview of the role of SGOs in AchieveNJ.
- SGO 2.1 Presentation (PPT | PDF): Updated SGO workshop presentation. Supplemental resources can be found below.
- SGO 2.1 Guidebook (PDF | Word): Revised for 2015-16.
- SGO Quick Start Guide (PDF): A 2-page guide outlining the SGO process.
- SGO Form (PDF | Word): Includes sections to help teachers identify and record information for student starting points, record mid-year adjustments to SGOs, and reflect on SGO process in annual conferences.
- SGO Guidance for Health and Physical Education Teachers (PDF):
- Document provided by Office of Academic Standards outlining key points and FAQs for SGO creation. For more information about Health and Physical Education, please visit the Department's dedicated webpage.
SGO 2.1 Presentation Resources
- Presentation (PPT)
- 15-16 Social Studies SGO Example (PDF)
- Unpacking Standards Document (Word)
- Performance Tasks Worksheet (Word)
- Assessment Blueprint (Word)
- Assessment Blueprint Example (PDF)
- Assessment Design Checklist (Word)
- Portfolio Assessments Worksheet (Word)
- Scoring Worksheet (Word)
- Bloom's Taxonomy (Word)
- DOK Wheel (PDF)
- SGOs and Collaboraion (PDF)
- SGO Assessment Long and Short Cycles (PDF)
- Mr. Roosevelt's SGO (PDF)
- Andrew Johnson Impeachment Activity (PDF)
High Quality Assessments
- Assessment Blueprint and Example: A tool to help teachers plan, develop, and check high-quality assessments. More information about using this resource can be found in the updated SGO 2.1 Guidebook and Assessment Design Toolkit.
- Administering and Scoring SGO Assessments (Word | PDF): Table including a series of optional steps districts and schools can take to increase the quality of SGO assessing and scoring.
- SGO Approval Inventory and Scoring Chart (Excel): Adaptable Excel spreadsheet that can be used by evaluators as a database to track SGO development, approval, conferences and scores for teachers.
SGO Quality Assurance
- SGO Quality Rating Rubric (PDF | Word): Updated with more specific information on assessment quality and using multiple measures of student starting points.
- Assessing and Adjusting SGOs (Word | PDF): Document describing the value of assessing submitted SGOs for quality and making adjustments as needed before the February 15th deadline. Includes a suggested method for inspecting SGO quality.
- Evaluating SGO Quality Presentation (PPT | PDF): Presentation that can be used to assist a team that is assessing SGO quality. Describes the components of a high quality SGO with SGO samples of varying quality.
Support and Scoring
- Mid-course Check In (PDF | Word): Form to guide SGO discussions between teachers and supervisors.
- SGO Scoring Checkpoints and Considerations (Word | PDF): Annotated guide with examples and resources for developing SGO scoring policies and completing the SGO process with teachers.
- SGO Scoring Checklist (Word | PDF): Simple list that administrators may use prior to or during annual conference to ensure important aspects of SGO scoring are completed.
Older Forms and Documents
In large part SGO forms provided during the first two years have been condensed into revised documents such as the Assessment Blueprint and the 2014-15 SGO Form (see above). However, districts are welcome to continue to use older versions as needed and may access them below..
- SGO Form 1.1 Pre-approval for School-based Assessments (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 1.2 Standards Alignment and Coverage Check (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 1.3 Assessment Rigor Analysis and Depth of Knowledge (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 1.4 Approval Checklist for School-based Assessments (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 1.5 Planning Guide for Choosing or Developing a Quality Assessment
(PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 2.1 Identify and Approve Starting Points (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 3.1 Student Growth Objective Form (Simple) (PDF | ;Word)
- SGO Form 3.2 Student Growth Objective Form (Tiered) (PDF | Word)
- SGO Form 3.3 Student Growth Objective Form (Tiered, Weighted Average)
(PDF | Word)
- Assessment Blueprint and Completion Guide (PDF | Word): This tool is the Department's original blueprint created to help teachers plan, develop, and check high-quality assessments. More information about using this resource can be found in the SGO 2.0 presentation. This tool can still be utilized with slight modifications when viewing the Assessment Design Toolkit modules. A document describing the differences can be accessed here.
Additional Resources and Links
Training & Implementation Materials
- SGP Technical Description: This August 2011 white paper from the National Center for the Improvement of Educational Assessments (NCIEA) provides a 6-page overview of SGPs, including a detailed explanation of the statistical methodology used to calculate SGPs.