New Jersey Student Learning Standards
U.S. Senate Youth Program
Please note that the application period has ended. Therefore, applications will no longer be accepted. Delegates and alternates will be announced mid-December 2017; at which time applicants will receive an email regarding their status.
Two New Jersey students will be selected as delegates by an esteemed panel in the fall to represent the State of New Jersey at the week-long educational program in Washington, D.C. and receive a one-time undergraduate college $10,000 scholarship.
Student candidates must:
- Meet the eligibility requirements
- Be the school's sole nominee and obtain the principal's signature on the 2017-2018 New Jersey Application Form;
- Follow the directions listed on the 2017-2018 New Jersey Application Requirements document;
- Complete the 2017-2018 New Jersey Application Form using a computer or typewriter;
- Attach a two-page student essay, double spaced, using Times New Roman size 12 font with ½" margins, describing:
- Leadership experiences in a student government, civic or educational organization;
- Involvement in community and public service activities;
- Ways in which your passions, motivation or creativity contribute to your school or community;
- Interest in and desire to learn more about this country's political processes;
- Include a one-page resume describing awards and accomplishments, after-school activities, work experiences, and service to school and community (use Times New Roman size 12 font with ½" margins);
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from the principal; and a letter of recommendation from the class, student council or organization advisor. Letters should be on letterhead with principal/advisor's name, title, and signature. Information about student's specific accomplishments as well as evidence of leadership and motivation should be included in recommendation letter.
- Original application packets must be received by October 9, 2017 by mail. No faxed copies accepted – no exceptions allowed.
- If any of the components or information is missing from the final application packet, the application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- If a high school submits more than one nomination, neither nomination will be considered.
- Time constraints will not allow for return of applications for correction or completion.