2013-14 School and District Professional Development Planning Process
This is a transition period for all levels of professional development planning and approval processes as a result of regulatory changes which are now at proposal level with the State Board of Education and slated for adoption in May 2013.
The professional development planning process at the school and district levels for the 2013-2014 school year will remain the same as it was for the 2012-2013 school year with the exception of the submission process. School Professional Development Committees and Local Professional Development Committees will review their current professional development plans and update them for the 2013-2014 school year using their most recent educator and student data.
Based on evaluation findings, create a revised plan directly on the existing plan. Section A, Reflection, will be entirely new as you will be reflecting on what has been accomplished:
- Ensure the plan is aligned to and uses the principles within the Professional Development Standards for New Jersey Educators;
- Review each section of your current school plan to identify where you are meeting/not meeting your goals, seeking input from all stakeholders; and
- Using a copy of your current school professional development plan for 2012-13, make additions and modifications to goals, opportunities, and resources. Refer to the questions in the guidance documents and planning templates.
- You may highlight or bold additions and modifications to the 2012-13 plan directly on a copy of the existing plan.
- Change the plan date from 2012-13 to 2013-14.
- As in years past, the School Professional Development Committee must submit a narrative summary of the school plan for inclusion in the district-level plan.
Based on evaluation findings, create a revised plan directly on the existing plan. Section A, Reflection, will be entirely new as you will be reflecting on what has been accomplished. Follow the same steps outlined above with the exception of number six. As in years past, attach the school plan summaries to the district-level plan.
NOTE: Do not submit the district professional development plan to the County Professional Development Board for review. The chief school administrator should hold the district plan, pending action by the New Jersey State Board of Education and further guidance from the department to be issued in the coming months.
Links to the original blank templates for school and district plans, guidance and resources can be found on this Web page.
Current: Continue implementing the 2012 – 2013 plan
Through Spring 2013: District monitors the implementation of the 2012-2013 plan and considers revisions; plan is modified in accordance with current guidance (including summaries of all school plans)
May 15, 2013 - District plan completed; chief school administrator holds the plan until further notice.
Memo for 2013-2014 Professional Development Plans