New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards
CCCS Home | 1996 CCCS Home | 1996 Curriculum Frameworks
Cross-Content Workplace Readiness Standards And Progress
All Students Will Use Critical Thinking, Decision Making And Problem-Solving
Descriptive Statement: Students will be expected to develop original
thoughts and ideas, think creatively, develop habits of inquiry, and take
intellectual and performance risks. They will be expected to recognize
problems, devise a variety of ways to solve these problems, analyze the
potential advantages and disadvantages of each alternative, and evaluate
the effectiveness of the method ultimately selected.
Cumulative Progress Indicators
All students will be able to:
- Recognize and define a problem, or clarify decisions to be made.
- Use models, relationships, and observations to clarify problems and
- Formulate questions and hypotheses.
- Identify and access resources, sources of information, and services
in the school and the community.
- Use the library media center as a critical resource for inquiry and
assessment of print and nonprint materials.
- Plan experiments.
- Conduct systematic observations.
- Organize, synthesize, and evaluate information for appropriateness
- Identify patterns and investigate relationships.
- Monitor and validate their own thinking.
- Identify and evaluate the validity of alternative solutions.
- Interpret and analyze data to draw conclusions.
- Select and apply appropriate solutions to problem-solving and decision-
- Evaluate the effectiveness of various solutions.
- Apply problem-solving skills to original and creative/design projects.