Early Childhood Education
Curriculum & Assessment
Curriculum is the entire range of experiences that children have at school. Content objectives and learning outcomes, knowledge of child development and careful observation of the needs and interests of individual children guide curriculum.
There is no one “best” curriculum for all programs. There are many excellent curriculum models that meet the guidelines for developmentally appropriate practice and the OECE’s Preschool Teaching and Learning Expectations: Standards of Quality. The Office supports preschool curricula that meet the following criteria:
- The curriculum is aligned with the Preschool Teaching and Learning Expectations: Standards of Quality;
- Methods for inclusion of students with disabilities are provided;
- The content and teaching strategies are clear, and research-based;
- The curriculum content is taught with focus and integration;
- The curriculum relies on child initiation and engagement;
- All curriculum components are developmentally appropriate; and
- Show evidence of benefits.
The recommended curricula are:
- The Creative Curriculum®
- Curiosity Corner®
- High/Scope Preschool Curriculum
- Tools of the Mind Project