Educator Recruitment, Preparation, and Recognition
Alternate Routes to Teacher Certification
The "Alternate Route" refers to a non-traditional teacher preparation program designed for those individuals who have not completed a formal teacher preparation program at an accredited college or university, but wish to obtain the necessary training to become a NJ certified teacher. To learn more, please visit the Alternate Route to Certification page.
- Certficate of Eligibilty.
- When a candidate is hired, the district/school must register candidate into the Provisional Teacher Program and a provisional license is issued.
Mentoring and Formal Instruction
- Mentoring: 34 weeks of support by a school-based experienced teacher, including four weeks of intensive mentoring at the beginning of the program. Formal Instruction: at least 200 hours of instruction aligned with the New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers concurrent with employment.
Provisional Teacher Program Training Costs
- -$450 is paid to the mentor (s) who supports the provisional teacher for the initial mentoring.
-$550 is paid to the teacher(s) who services as the experienced mentor over the 30 week duration of program.
Provisonal Teacher Program Training Costs
- -$1,450 fee for 200 hours of formal instruction at regional training centers. The 200 hrs of formal instruction are offered in three phases.
-$325 regional training center fee for 45 hrs of study in the teaching of mathematics at the K5 level for K5 certificat.e
-$325 regional training center fee for 45 hrs of study in the teaching of language arts at the K5 level for K5 certificte.
-Tuition varies at college-based programs.
Supervision and Evaluation
- Three evaluations by school based administrators, including final summative evaluation recommending the novice teacher for standard certificate.
- Applicant will apply online for standard license and pay $100 administrative fee.