Nonpublic School Health Services
"The Legislature hereby finds and determines that the welfare of the State requires that all school-age children be assured equal access to appropriate health care services. In order to achieve this objective, it is the intent of the Legislature to require that the State and local communities provide basic nursing services for children in both public and nonpublic schools." (N.J.S.A. 18A:40-23).
For the purposes of monitoring and recordkeeping, the district board of education providing health services to nonpublic schools shall annually submit the following information to the county superintendent of education on or before October 1 and shall provide a copy to the chief school administrator of the nonpublic schools within school district boundaries [N.J.S.A. 6A:16-2.5(j)]:
- A written statement verifying that the required conference was held with the nonpublic school: Nursing consultation agreement form;
- A copy of the contract with another agency to provide the services, if applicable, and approved minutes of the district board of education meeting approving the contract, which describes the methods by which the health services to nonpublic school students will be provided for the ensuing year, including a rationale for the distribution of funds (Word | PDF); and
- A description of the type and number of services that were provided during the previous school year on a form approved by the Commissioner of Education: Annual Nonpublic School Nursing Report Form (Word | PDF).
The Nursing Program Guidance provides the statute and code relating to nursing services for nonpublic school students. In addition, it includes NJDOE recommendations, entitled NJDOE Guidance, and statute and code clarifications.
A new Nursing Services Fact Sheet provides an explanation of the nursing services funds to which nonpublic school students are entitled, including what is allowable and what constraints are placed on districts in spending the funds directly or contracting with third party providers.
- Nonpublic Health Services Statute: N.J.S.A. 18A: 40-23 et seq.
- Nonpublic Health Services Code: N.J.A.C. 6A:16-2.5
- Sample Vendor Evaluation Rubric for Nonpublic School Nursing Services
Find a model proposal evaluation methodology with a weighting of criteria to help districts evaluate the service provider proposals they receive.