Safer Schools for a Better Tomorrow » Home
The SSSP Model Template will be a state-wide School Safety and Security Plan (SSSP) for New Jersey’s 590+ school districts, charters, and other local education agencies. The template will be created within a timeframe and will contribute to the department’s success as a resource to districts in school safety & preparedness. Implemented in the model template will be the Governor’s School Security Task Force initiatives.
Specifically, the model template will:
- Incorporate best practices from national and state emergency management and continuity fields
- Follow the four phases of Crisis Management
- Follow guidance from the School Security Drill Law N.J.S.A 18A:41-1 and the LEA Minimum Requirements (N.J.A.C. 6A:16-5.1)
- Understand and consider the resources and limitations of local school districts and their day-to-day operations
- Include relevance to special needs population; including, but not limited IEP, students, ELL students, students with physical disabilities, and other vulnerable populations
- Integrate mental health resiliency into school safety planning
- Include input from key stakeholders to develop a relevant SSS Plan that is practical, collaborative, and inclusive
In general, the model template will serve as the blueprint that districts can follow to ensure their safety plans are comprehensive, meet state requirements, and protect our K-12 community from school-affected emergencies.