DHSS

New Jersey's Active Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Surveillance Statistics
Week of February 5, 2001

Reports were received from 137 schools, with a total population of 112,423 students. The absenteeism rate was 8.87%. This rate is up from 7.52% the week before.

Reports were received from 638 nursing homes with a total population of 8,956. The reported influenza-like illness rate was 4.73%, up significantly from 1.95% the week before.

Reports were received from 57 hospital emergency departments. During the 24 hour surveillance period, a total of 6,539 patients were seen, of which 10.64% were being seen because of a respiratory influenza-like illness. This figure was essentially unchanged from 10.63% the week before.

In the past week, there were 6 new viral cultures positive for influenza reported. Four were influenza A and two were influenza B.

Nationwide, since October 1, 71% of influenza specimens typed have been A, and 29% have been B. Of those typed as A, 98% were H1N1 and 2% were H3N2. Of the H1N1, 95% were similar to the A New Caledonia strain that was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 5% were similar to A Bayern. Although the A Bayern strain is antigenically distinct from the A New Caledonia strain, there is good cross-reactivity between the antibody produced by the A New Caledonia vaccine component and the A Bayern virus, thus this year's vaccine should provide good protection against A Bayern. All H3N2 virus isolated was antigenically similar to the A Panama strain included in this year's vaccine. Of the influenza B viruses isolated,52% have been antigenically similar to B Beijing which was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 48% have been antigenically similar to B Sichuan which has good cross-reactivity with B Beijing. Thus this year's vaccine is providing good coverage against the virus strains known to be circulating in the United States at this time.

Influenza-like activity has continued to rise over the past three weeks, most notably among residents of nursing homes in the past week. This is likely to represent an increase in influenza activity in New Jersey, but the apparent activity has not reached outbreak levels. This activity is similar to what is being reported from the rest of the United States. It is reasonable to expect that influenza-like illness may continue to increase in all parts of New Jersey in the coming weeks.

Northeastern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Bergen7.753.315.80
Essex18.620.0016.51
Hudson10.376.338.50
Middlesex6.073.1011.68
Monmouth4.911.1611.27
Passaic10.614.2211017
Union12.723.5210.54

Regional Total9.073.2411.43

Northwestern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
HunterdonNRNRNR
Mercer9.08NR4.59
Morris4.35NRNR
SomersetNRNR5.56
Sussex9.371.32NR
WarrenNR1.774.55

Regional Total7.071.574.89

Southern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Atlantic NRNRNR
Burlington7.420.1610.61
Camden7.4113.1914.77
Cape May7.593.6612.98
Cumberland5.153.476.54
Gloucester8.4319.8010.11
Ocean10.502.465.77
Salem8.121.047.59

Regional Total8.567.059.71

Statewide Total8.874.7310.64

NR = no report