DHSS

New Jersey's Active Influenza-like Illness (ILI) Surveillance Statistics
Week of February 26, 2001

Reports were received from 160 schools, with a total population of 118,609 students. The absenteeism rate was 4.93%. This rate is down from 6.37% the week before.

Reports were received from 60 nursing homes with a total population of 8,706. The reported influenza-like illness rate was 1.72%, down from 2.01% the week before.

Reports were received from 48 hospital emergency departments. During the 24 hour surveillance period, a total of 5,355 patients were seen, of which 8.63% were being seen because of a respiratory influenza-like illness. This figure was up from 7.16% the week before.

In the past week, there have been no new viral cultures positive for influenza reported.

Nationwide, since October 1, 65% of influenza specimens typed have been A, and 35% have been B. Of those typed as A, 97% were H1N1 and 3% were H3N2. Of the H1N1, 97% were similar to the A New Caledonia strain that was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 3% were similar to A Bayern. Although the A Bayern strain is antigenically distinct from the A New Caledonia strain, there is good cross-reactivity between the antibody produced by the A New Caledonia vaccine component and the A Bayern virus, thus this year's vaccine should provide good protection against A Bayern. All H3N2 virus isolated was antigenically similar to the A Panama strain included in this year's vaccine. Of the influenza B viruses isolated,28% have been antigenically similar to B Beijing which was included in this year's vaccine. The remaining 72% have been antigenically similar to B Sichuan which has good cross-reactivity with B Beijing. Thus this year's vaccine is providing good coverage against the virus strains known to be circulating in the United States at this time.

Influenza-like activity has continued at lower levels during the past week. Reported influenza-like activity has not reached outbreak levels. This activity is similar to what is being reported from the rest of the United States. Although influenza-like activity has been at lower levels during the past few weeks, the influenza season is not over and it is still possible that influenza-like illness may increase again in all parts of New Jersey in the coming weeks.

Northeastern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
BergenNRNRNR
Essex2.750.0014.11
Hudson4.631.274.05
Middlesex4.141.1512.42
Monmouth4.050.477.32
Passaic1.764.702.94
Union10.051.575.51
Regional Total4.682.1310.39

Northwestern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Hunterdon3.640.491.61
Mercer4.589.68NR
Morris3.750.792.26
SomersetNRNRNR
Sussex4.700.009.28
Warren7.060.5110.00
Regional Total4.961.085.76

Southern New Jersey


Schools
% Absent
Nursing Homes
% with ILI
Emergency Departments
% visits with ILI
Atlantic 5.583.1010.23
BurlingtonNRNRNR
Camden7.651.356.83
Cape May4.033.207.14
Cumberland5.041.804.38
Gloucester6.120.855.34
Ocean5.971.184.38
Salem4.331.042.78
Regional Total5.681.856.25
Statewide Total4.931.728.63

NR = no report