Things you can do to protect yourself and others from the flu.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. Throw away the tissue and wash your hands with soap and water.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cover your mouth and nose with your hands and then wash your hands with soap and water.
- When soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based
disposable hand wipes or hand sanitizers.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay away from people who are sick.
- If possible, the sick person should wear a surgical mask when others are present. If the person cannot wear a mask, persons in close contact with the sick person should wear a mask. Masks should fit snugly around the face and should not be touched or handled during use. Do not share masks. Throw away used masks.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid crowded places if possible.