Skip to navigation
To ensure that New Jersey citizens receive quality health care, we:
- License more than thirty types of health facilities and services;
- Develop new licensing standards and revise existing standards to reflect changes in the health care industry.
- Accept and evaluate certificate of need applications.
- Oversee of the development of health care facilities in a changing market environment.
- Inspect facilities for compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Investigate all complaints and review all adverse events reported by facility staff.
- Conduct the state's Medicare Certification Program for Nursing Homes, Ambulatory Surgery Centers, End Stage Renal Disease Facilities, Hospices and Home Health Agencies;
- Enforce state licensing regulations and Medicare certification standards;
- License Nursing Home Administrators and certify Assisted Living Administrators;
- Certify Nurse Aides and manage the Certified Medication Aide Program;
- Collect, analyze and disseminate nursing home performance information through Nursing Home Report Cards; and
- Conduct training programs for the regulated industry and personnel.
Promotes the provision of quality health services through the enforcement of state licensing regulations and Medicare certification standards. Survey inspections are conducted at nursing homes, assisted living residences, acute care health facilities, including hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers, comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation facilities, end stage renal disease dialysis centers, home health agencies, hospices, outpatient physical therapy providers, portable x-ray suppliers, and a wide range of other ambulatory care providers. We operate a 24-hour Complaint Hot Line, at 1-800-792-9770, to handle consumer complaints and facility emergencies 7 days per week. Investigates and resolves complaints regarding health care facilities.
CERTIFICATE OF NEED AND LICENSURE
Administers the certificate of need (CN) program, analyzes and implements various health care facility reform initiatives requiring extensive regulatory development; maintains a statewide CN health care facility resource information data base and oversees the licensing of all New Jersey Health facilities.