Healthy School Facility Environments

Select textsizemediumlargelarger

Reporting School Facility Environment Health and Safety Concerns

In general, concerns about the health or safety of the school environment should be reported first to school administrators such as the principal, superintendent, facilities manager, or construction coordinator. Board of Education members and union representatives may also be helpful.

Below is a description of agencies that can respond to school health and safety concerns.

Student-Related Concerns: The Indoor Environments Program in the NJ Department of Health can offer information and advise on issues such as asbestos, lead, mold, and the EPA Indoor Air Quality Tools for Schools Program. Call 609-631-6749.

The NJ Department of Environmental Protection can offer information and advice on safe siting of schools, school bus idling, integrated pest management and low input lawn care, radon, lead in drinking water, ozone and other air pollutants, and mercury. Call 609-777-3373.

For poison emergency treatment and advice call
NJ Poison Information and Education System (NJPIES)
24 hours a day
7 days a week

Construction-Related Concerns: Report construction-related problems in public schools by calling the New Jersey Schools Development Authority (NJSDA) Customer Service Number: 609-341-5900.

School Staff and Construction Worker Concerns: Concerns that pose an immediate danger or serious risk to school staff or construction workers should be directed to:

  • Public schools, 1-800-624-1644, Public Employee Occupational Safety and Health Program (PEOSH), toll-free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Private schools and construction workers on any site 1-800-321-6742, Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), toll-free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Back to the top of the list