Under some circumstances, educational facilities will require an IEHA to be conducted by a licensed consultant when there are renovations, remodeling, additions, conversions, demolitions, etc. taking place. Educational facilities include any K-12 public, private or charter school. The Local Construction Official (LCO) will determine if the work being done in the educational facility will require a Department of Health (DOH) Safe building Interior Certification. A DOH certification may be required prior to the beginning of any construction or demolition or prior to issuing a certificate of occupancy (CO). If your LCO has required you to obtain a DOH certification, please contact the DOH for more information on how to proceed.
Educational facilities which fall into one or more of the following categories may have to acquire a Safe Building Interior Certification from the DOH:
- The educational facility is in a building constructed prior to 1979.
- The prior or current use of the building and/or property was/is used for industrial, storage, or other high hazard purpose. This includes being used as a nail salon, a dry cleaner or a gas station. These categories may be is classified as Groups B, S, F and H as defined by the Uniform Construction Code (UCC).
- The location is on a contaminated site or on a property where contamination is suspected.
- The educational facility is referred to the Department of Health (DOH) by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Department of Education, or a local construction official (LCO), due to a prior or current use of the building or property which is of concern.
- The educational facility is co-located in a building with a dry cleaner and/or nail salon.
IEHA Forms and Submission Process
Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1), must be signed by a licensed consultant. Indoor Environmental Health Assessments (IEHAs), forms, and data submitted to the DOH should be submitted electronically. They can also be placed on a compact disc and mailed to the address below:
NJ Department of Health
Consumer, Environmental, and Occupational Health Service
Indoor Environments Program
P.O. Box 369
Trenton, NJ 08625-0369
NOTE: If the IEHA packet will be e-mailed, a certified check, a business check or money order (no cash or credit cards will be accepted) made payable to "Treasurer, State of New Jersey," in the amount of $1500 must be sent to the above address. When mailing the check, it must be attached to a hardcopy of Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1).
The following forms are required to be completed and submitted:
|Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1)
|Form B: Historical Uses of Building (CEHS-2)
|Form C: Condition of Building Components (CEHS-3)
|Form D: Heating and Cooling (CEHS-4)
|Form E: Water and Sewer (CEHS-5)
|| [doc 32k]
|Form F: Hazardous Substances (CEHS-6)
|Form G: Sampling (CEHS-7)
|Form H: Conclusions and Recommendations