DOH Home  >>  Indoor Environments Program

Environmental and Occupational Health Assessment Program Application Payments

Submit Payments

Indoor Environmental Health Assessment (IEHA) in Child Care Centers

Initial and Renewal Submission Process

Please read the following information carefully before proceeding with any indoor environmental health assessment (IEHA) work. 

Payment Information:

A certification fee will apply if your center is required to obtain a Safe Building Interior Certification from the NJ Department of Health.

The Department of Health (DOH) does not accept personal checks and will no longer accept business checks. Payment must be in the form of a certified check, money order or e-payment (credit card or e-check). Checks and money orders must be made payable to the “New Jersey Department of Health.” For e-payments, please click on the link underneath the left menu. Once you submit an e-payment, you will receive confirmation of payment and confirmation will be sent to the DOH childcare program. To avoid delays, please include your confirmation of payment when you submit paperwork to the DOH.

Initial Submissions

Fee: $1,500

New/proposed child care centers or existing child care centers that are relocating or expanding their center must obtain a Safe Building Interior Certification from the DOH if the facility meets any one of the following criteria:

  • The child care center is in a building constructed prior to 1979.
  • The prior or current use of the building and/or property was/is used for industrial, storage, or other high hazard purpose. This includes being used as a nail salon, a dry cleaner or a gas station. These categories may be classified as Groups B, S, F and H as defined by under the Uniform Construction Code (UCC).
  • The location is on a contaminated site or on a property where contamination is suspected.
  • The center is referred to the Department of Health (DOH) by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP), Department of Children and Family (DCF), or a local construction official (LCO), due to a prior or current use of the building or property which is of concern.
  • The center is co-located in a building with a dry cleaner and/or nail salon.

In accordance with the requirements of N.J.A.C. 8:50, an Indoor Environmental Health Assessment (IEHA) must be completed to obtain a Safe Building Interior Certification from the DOH.  Preliminary Assessment (PA) reports alone do not meet the standards for an IEHA but can be submitted along with an IEHA. Only a DOH-licensed Indoor Environmental Consultant may conduct and submit an IEHA for the purpose of obtaining a DOH Safe Building Interior Certification.

Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1), must be signed by a licensed consultant. Indoor Environmental Health Assessments (IEHAs), forms, and data submitted to the DOH should be submitted electronically. They can also be placed on a compact disc and mailed to the following address:

NJ Department of Health
Consumer, Environmental, and Occupational Health Service
Environmental & Occupational Health Assessment Program
P.O. Box 369
Trenton, NJ 08625-0369

The following forms are required to be completed and submitted:

Form A: Submission Information (CEHS-1) [pdf 33k] [doc 64k]
Form B: Historical Uses of Building (CEHS-2) [pdf 15k] [doc 52k]
Form C: Condition of Building Components (CEHS-3) [pdf 11k] doc 34k]
Form D: Heating and Cooling (CEHS-4) [pdf 9k] [doc 33k]
Form E: Water and Sewer (CEHS-5) [pdf 9k] [doc 32k]
Form F: Hazardous Substances (CEHS-6) [pdf 23k] [doc 63k]
Form G: Sampling (CEHS-7) [pdf 13k] [doc 82k]
Form H: Conclusions and Recommendations
[pdf 12k] [doc 45k]

Renewal Submissions

Fee and Required Documentation: Contact your DOH inspector.

Child care centers who are renewing their license must contact the DCF to determine if their center will be required to obtain a new Safe Building Interior Certification from the DOH as part of their renewal. 

If the DCF has required your center to obtain this certification, you must contact the DOH for directions on how to proceed.  You should contact the DOH PRIOR to contacting a consultant or conducting an IEHA.  The DOH will assess your center's specific information and determine what steps, if any, will be necessary to obtain a DOH certification.  A certification fee (see above) will apply if DOH oversight is needed.  

If DOH oversight is required, a Child Care Center Renewal Notification (CEHS-15) [pdf 18k] [Word 45k] form will need to be completed and submitted.  Please ensure that you have contacted the DOH and have been instructed to complete and submit this form.  Failure to do so may result in unnecessary fees and delays in renewing your child care center license.

Additional Links:


Department of Health

P. O. Box 360, Trenton, NJ 08625-0360
Our Locations
Privacy policy, terms of use and contact form links State Privacy Notice legal statement DOH Feedback Page New Jersey Home

OPRA- Open Public RecordAct
department: njdoh home | index by topic | programs/services
statewide:njhome | services A to Z  | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-

Last Modified: Friday, 27-Jun-14 09:19:50