- It is estimated that 12,000 to 15,000 New Jersey residents suffer brain injuries from traumatic events each year, of which 1000 are fatal. Approximately 175,000 New Jersey residents currently live with disabilities from traumatic brain injuries.
- Leading causes of traumatic brain injury are motor vehicle crashes, falls, assaults, and self-inflicted injuries.
- A majority of traumatic brain injuries effect a segment of the population under 35 years of age.
- Brain injury rates rise sharply after age 65, primarily due to an increased incidence of falls.
- The age pattern of brain injury is similar for all racial and ethnic groups.