It is recognized that electronic health record technology and health information technology is not an end in itself; it is a vehicle to achieve defined goals and objectives. The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act established programs for Medicare and Medicaid to provide incentive payments for the "meaningful use" of certified EHR technology. The first part of the incentive program focuses on adopting, implementing, or upgrading Certified Electronic Health Record (EHR)Technology. The subsequent additional incentive payments focus on utilizing the certified EHR technology in a meaningful way.
- Adopt, implement, or upgrade to Certified Electronic Health Record Technology in order to receive an initial New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payment.
- Meaningfully Use Certified Electronic Health Record Technology in accordance with federally established meaningful use criteria in order to receive year 2-6 New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payments. Additional information on meaningful use is available from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid services here.
- Registration - Enroll in the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program through CMS’s online portal, the National Level Repository. Registration for the New Jersey Medicaid EHR Incentive Program began on November 7, 2011.
- Attestation - Complete the necessary information to confirm your eligibility for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program starting on December 19, 2011. This process takes place in the New Jersey MMIS Provider Portal available through www.njmmis.com.
- Payment - After New Jersey Medicaid validates your registration, volume, and attestation information, an incentive payment will be distributed to you. Initial payment distributions will occur in January or February 2012.
New Jersey Medicaid and its Medicaid Managed Care Organization partners have teamed up with the Health Information Technology Extension Center (NJ-HITEC) to offer free consulting and other services to assist providers in becoming eligible for Medicaid EHR Incentive Program payments. For more information on this partnership, click here. For more information on NJ-HITEC, visit their website at www.njhitec.org.
For more information, click on the following links:
- What is Certified EHR Technology?
- Adopt, Implement or Upgrade Requirement Definition
- Stage 1 Meaningful Use Requirements for Eligible Professionals
- Stage 2 Meaningful Use Requirements for Eligible Professionals
- 2015 Meaningful Use Program Requirements
- 2016 Meaningful Use Program Requirements
- 2017 Meaningful Use Program Requirements