The NJCBVI 2013 Scholarship Program
2013 Application Deadline: May 17, 2013
The following privately-funded scholarships
will be awarded to 3 deserving student applicants:
The Nathan & Sally Rogoff Scholarship for Academic ExcellenceAmount: $1,000
Sponsor: NJ Commission for the Blind & Visually Impaired - Board of Trustees
Award based on (evaluative priority order):
GPA, SAT score, essay quality, strength of letters of recommendation, and amount and nature of community service
Background: The late Nathan and Sally Rogoff (right) were both well known for their generosity and dedication to helping others, especially young people who are blind or visually impaired. Mr. Rogoff served on the NJCBVI Board of Trustees for over 30 years.
The Trenton Thunder Scholarship for Leadership and Community ServiceAmount: $1,000
Sponsors: The Trenton Thunder Baseball Team & NJCBVI Board of Trustees
Award based on (evaluative priority order):
Amount and nature of community service, essay quality, strength of letters of recommendation, GPA, and SAT score
The Trenton Thunder is the Double “A” Affiliate team for the New York Yankees. Every year, since 2006, in partnership with NJCBVI and the NJ State Library Talking Book and Braille Center, the Thunder have hosted a “Blind and Visually Impaired Awareness Night” during a regularly scheduled home game played at Waterfront Park, in Trenton, NJ.
The Cathy and Herb Bodensiek Scholarship for Students Majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) or Business AdministrationAmount: $2,000
Sponsor: Private Donor
Award based on (evaluative priority order): Candidate must be a STEM or Business Administration; GPA, essay quality, strength of letters of recommendation, financial need, SAT score and amount and nature of community service.
Background: Herb Bodensiek and his late wife, Cathy, both contributed many volunteer hours and personal resources to organizations serving people who are blind or visually impaired. This privately funded scholarships was established to encourage and support the career goals of NJCBVI students who are pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) or Business Administration.
PLEASE NOTE:You will find the link for the application at the end of these instructions. Carefully review this information to be sure you qualify for these scholarships before applying. Applications and supporting documentation must be received by or before May 17, 2013. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Notices will not be sent to students who are missing necessary documentation.
- U.S. citizen
- Resident of New Jersey
- Active/Eligible NJCBVI Client
- College-bound high school seniors or recent high school graduates who will attend college in 2013-2014
- College students in their freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year of studies
- Graduate students in their first or second year of masters level studies or college seniors who will pursue a graduate level education
Applicant must demonstrate:
- A minimum GPA of 2.5
- Community involvement /service to others
- Financial need (Bodensiek Scholarship only)
Qualified Institutions & Level of Study
Award may be used at:
- Two-year college
- Four-year college
- Accredited technical career or trade school
Location of school:
GENERAL DIRECTIONS FOR ALL APPLICANTS
- The application must be completed by the NJCBVI student.
- The application must be completed on-line or e-mailed as an attachment to:
- No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Each essay section requires a response of no less than 100 words and no more than 300 words.
- Proofread your essay answers in addition to having at least one other person proofread your application
- Spelling errors or poor writing skills may lower your evaluative score
- The following supporting documents are required and MUST be submitted together in one envelope:
- SAT Score
- Most recent academic transcript
- Post-secondary letter of acceptance and/or verification of enrollment
- List of extra-curricular and community service activities
- Applicant Certification (Download)
- 2 Letters of recommendation
- Letters (one page or less) must include comments explaining why you are deserving of a scholarship
- High school seniors: One letter must be from a teacher, counselor or administrator employed by the school you are currently attending
- Letters from family members will not be considered
- Each application package will be judged on its own merit, so include any information that demonstrates that you are an exceptional candidate to receive the award.
- Optional: You may also send no more than 5 additional supporting documents (examples: awards or honors received, additional letters of recommendation, news clippings, etc.)
- Mail supporting documentation to: (DEADLINE MAY 17, 2013)
NJCBVI - 2013 Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 47017
Newark, NJ 07101-47017
Attn: Dr. Bernice Davis