DiscoverAbility / NJ WorkAbility
DiscoverAbility has evolved from transportation needs...Meeting the Employment Transportation Needs of People with Disabilities
What is DiscoverAbility?DiscoverAbility NJ is a living document that was built upon the state's longstanding efforts to improve the labor market participation of people with disabilities. At the same time it included contemporary thinking about what is needed to increase their work opportunities (for instance, better transportation services) and improve employment and economic outcomes.
What is NJ WorkAbility?The NJ WorkAbility Program offers full New Jersey Medicaid health coverage to people with disabilities who are working, and whose earnings would otherwise make them ineligible for Medicaid.
NJ WorkAbility was created by the federal Ticket to Work/Work Incentives Improvement Act of 1999 and Chapter 116 of PL2000 of New Jersey.
- Be between the ages of 16 and 64
- Work part time, full time or be self-employed and have proof of employment
- Have a permanent disability determined by the Social Security Administration (SSA), or the Disability Review Team at the Division of Medical Assistance & Health Services (DMAHS)
- Have an earned income no more than $58, 236 per year for eligible individuals, or no more than $ 78,348 per year for eligible couples (both with permanent disability, both working)
- Have an unearned income (pensions, child support, interest, etc.) up to $ 958 per month for eligible individuals, or up to $ 1,293 for eligible couples
- Have less than $20,000 in liquid assets as an individual, or less than $30,000 as a couple
- Disregarded income: Social Security Disability Benefits and/or Railroad Retirement System Benefits, received by an individual on their own account, are not included in the eligibility criteria.
- Disregarded assets: Retirement accounts like an IRA or 401K, and the value of owned home and car, are also disregarded.
SPECIAL EVENTSDiscoverAbiltiy NJ 2010 Work Based Learning Symposium
For additional information about NJ WorkAbilityFor additional information about NJ WorkAbility or if you would like to apply, please call the Division of Disability Services toll free at 1-888-285-3036, between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Health coverage that works with you!