Please be advised that The NJ Modular Ramp and Long-Tread, Low-Riser Step Pilot Program is now closed. If you need information about other programs available please call 1-888-285-3036.
NJ Modular Ramp and Long Tread, Low-Riser Step ProgramFunded by a grant through The Henry H. Kessler Foundation, the NJ Modular Ramp and Long-Tread, Low-Riser Step Program provides independence to individuals with disabilities, whose primary residence (private home or apartment) is not currently accessible.
The "Modular Ramp System" was originally created in Minnesota , where the design, construction and installation have been in place for over 15 years, with more than 15 states using the same or similar systems.
The ramps or special steps, are constructed in module portions off-site and then are transported to the individual's home and assembled. In addition to their sturdy construction, these ramps/steps are designed to be recycled. The modular ramps and steps meet all New Jersey building code requirements for residential use.
Unique Design ConceptUnits are constructed in modular portions, off-site, and transported to individual's
home, then assembled on-site
- Uniquely designed to be recycled so parts may be reused at a different time and site
- Design meets all New Jersey building code requirements for residential use
What are the Benefits?
- Modular design helps to make homes accessible for all ages and abilities
- Can be assembled in 1 to 2 days
- Does not require permanent concrete frost footings
- Can be installed year-round
- Built to be reused and easily removed
- Built Off-site
Who Needs Modular Ramps or Steps?
Newly injured individuals
- People returning to work, school, training
- People in unsafe living conditions
- People who wish to age in place
Eligibility CriteriaIndividual must have a disability that significantly impairs or limits mobilityProgram open to Union and Middlesex county residents only, during initial phase
- Be a New Jersey resident for at least 6 months
- Live in a primary residence (private home or apartment) not currently accessible
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Liquid assets of less than $100,000
- Complete all required applications and local construction permits (if necessary)
- Participate in a pre and post install survey
- Agree to have a feasibility assessment on-site prior to installation
- Be employed, seeking employment outside of the home, and/or attending traditional
or vocational school or volunteering for the purpose of gaining future employment
NJ Dept of Human Services
Division of Disability Services
NJ Modular Ramp and Long-Tread, Low-Riser Step Program
William A.B. Ditto
Harry J. Pizutelli
1(888)285-3036 (toll free)
222 South Warren Street
P.O. Box 700
Trenton , NJ 08625-0700