The idea of a veterans home in the United States originated in the philanthropic mind of New Jersey Governor Marcus L. Ward, who had great concern for the sick and wounded soldiers of the Civil War. He believed that the commitment and obligation of the state and its citizens to those veterans did not end just because the war was over.
With the dedication of the New Jersey Soldiers' Home in Newark in 1866, a proud tradition began - a tradition of concern for and commitment to the veterans of New Jersey. Since that time, New Jersey has remained in the forefront in providing the finest in residential and skilled nursing care for our veterans and in responding and adapting to their changing health care needs.
The Division of Veterans Healthcare Services operates three modern long-term care nursing homes located in Paramus, Menlo Park, and Vineland. These homes are inspected and licensed annually by the New Jersey Department Health and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Comprehensive services and a deep concern for the residents go hand-in-hand at New Jersey's three state-operated veterans nursing homes. Around-the-clock medical and nursing care is provided by a full-time staff of physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants.
Rehabilitative services, such as occupational and physical therapies, speech therapy, and recreational activities are provided under the supervision of contracted licensed therapists.
Resident accommodations are assigned based on level of care required and availability. In spacious dining rooms, residents are provided with wholesome meals prepared under the supervision of licensed dietitians. Tray service is available when necessary and special care is given to individually prescribed diets.
For the convenience and comfort of the residents, the homes feature fully equipped beauty and barber shops, lounges for socializing and watching television, outdoor patios and recreation areas, picnic grounds, and chapels for religious services for all faiths.
Recreational activities available include gardening, ceramics and other arts and crafts, cooking, bingo, shopping trips, music, art and pet therapy programs, movies, dinner trips, fishing excursions, billiards, and trips to sporting events.
The facilities are open to veterans of all wars who served on active duty and were honorably discharged, the veteran's spouse, and to spouses and parents of members of the military who were killed in action during a period of war (Gold Star Parent).
Preference is given to applicants who were state residents for at least two years immediately prior to application for admission. Residents pay according to ability based on income.
Download the application, complete and submit required forms to the home of your choice.
The homes are visited regularly by various veterans and civic organizations and individual volunteers who provide the residents with companionship, gifts, parties, bus trips, entertainment, games and other recreational activities. To volunteer at any of the homes, contact the volunteer coordinator at the facility (see below).
This is the state's oldest operating veterans home, having opened in 1899. It has provided residential and long-term care to New Jersey veterans of every war and armed conflict since the War of 1812. Newly rebuilt in 2005, this state-of-the-art nursing home serves 300 residents.
The facility has a large, shaded outdoor recreation area and features a bowling alley, arts and craft room and a movie theater. The home is conveniently located off Route 47 (Delsea Drive) in Cumberland County.
This facility was rebuilt in 1999 on 109-acres in Middlesex County. It is the most modern, state-of-the-art nursing home in the United States. The 312-bed facility features a "town square" core with resident living areas located around the perimeter.
The home is adjacent to Roosevelt Hospital, and is easily accessible from Routes 1 and 287, the Garden State Parkway and the New Jersey Turnpike.
This facility, located on 23-acres in northeastern Bergen County, opened on August 4, 1986. It has two modern residential buildings, able to accommodate 336 residents, and two fenced-in garden areas. In the courtyard, near the main entrance, a monument stands in memory of those who served in World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.
The facility is conveniently located off the Garden State Parkway at Exit 165 and is across the street from Bergen Regional Medical Center.