NJ STEP Program
New Jersey State Trade and Export Promotion (NJ STEP) Program
Through the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), the New Jersey Business Action Center (BAC) received funding for the New Jersey State Trade and Export Promotion (NJ STEP) Stipend Program to provide assistance to eligible New Jersey small businesses that are new to export, as well as those businesses who currently sell their goods and services to other countries.
The NJ STEP program is available to eligible businesses on a first-come, first-serve basis and may be used to partially offset the cost of training programs, trade show participation, and for U.S. Department of Commerce programs including Gold Key Matching Services.
A business may be eligible for the program if it:
- Is a New Jersey small business enterprise, including:
- Businesses that are owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals, women, veteran, and/or service-connected disabled veteran.
- Rural small businesses.
- Small business enterprises that are new to the market of the People's Republic of China.
- Further, a firm meeting the above criteria must also be:
- A business that has been in existence for not less than a 1-year period prior to the date the assistance is provided under the NJ STEP program.
- A business operating profitably, based on operations in the United States.
New Jersey companies may complete the NJ STEP Program survey. The survey will be reviewed by the Office of International Business Development and Protocol and a subsequent meeting with the company will be held to determine the firm's export readiness and eligibility for the program.
There are no fees to participate in the NJ STEP Program. However, all firms accepted into the program must submit the immediately preceding year's tax returns as evidence of profitability. Additionally, a New Jersey State Tax Clearance Certificate may be required.
For more information on the New Jersey State Trade and Export Promotion (NJ STEP) Program or to speak to an International Business Advocate, call the Business Action Center at 866-534-7789
Program Close Date: September 30, 2013