Smart Growth Areas
What is a Smart Growth Area?
The office has developed the definition of Smart Growth Area to include an area classified as one of the following:
Am I in a Smart Growth Area?
Please visit the NJ Site Evaluator for a detailed procedure on how to determine Smart Growth Area status. GIS data are available for your reference.
What is Smart Growth?
For more information on Smart Growth.
Smart Growth Areas Map [pdf 6.3M]
Smart Growth Areas and New Jersey State Agencies
A number of state agencies use Smart Growth Areas as tools to implement certain programs. Below is a list of some of the programs that cite Smart Growth Area status as one of their criteria. This list is continuously updated as new programs choose to use Smart Growth Areas in their decision-making process.
- BPU • Energy Star & Smart Start Programs
- BPU • Utility Main Extension Regulations
- EDA • Business Employment Incentive Program
- HMFA • Loan and Subsidy programs
- Treasury • Property Management Space Approval Request
- Treasury • Property Management Smart Growth Site Location Unit