Route 18 over Route 1 lane closures
weekend in New Brunswick as
bridge reconstruction continues
A series of lane and ramp closures
will take place over several months
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced lane and ramp closures this weekend on Route 18 and Route 1 to demolish and reconstruct two bridges on Route 18 in New Brunswick, Middlesex County.
Motorists are advised to expect delays and may want to plan alternate routes.
Beginning at 8 p.m. tonight, Friday, June 5, until 5 a.m. Monday, June 8, NJDOT’s contractor Anselmi & DeCicco will close a single lane of Route 18 southbound and two lanes of Route 18 northbound to initiate a new traffic pattern.
One southbound lane of Route 18 will be closed from Paulus Boulevard to just past the bridge over Route 1 to accommodate one northbound lane of traffic. Route 18 northbound will be split before the bridge over Route 1, with one lane crossing over to southbound side of the roadway to the intersection with Paulus Boulevard, where northbound traffic will be shifted back to the northbound side of the roadway.
Last weekend, a similar traffic shift was implemented as half of the bridge that carries Route 18 northbound just west of Route 1 was demolished and reconstructed. This weekend, the other half of the bridge will be demolished and reconstructed.
Throughout the next several months, there will be additional lane and ramp closures, as well as traffic patterns shifts, at the interchange of Route 18 and Route 1. The Department will announce any closures before they are implemented.
The scheduled closures and detours for this weekend are as follows:
Closed from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday:
- Route 18 southbound left lane
- Ramp from Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound
Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound Detour:
- Motorists on Route 1 southbound will continue on Route 1 southbound to Ryders Lane/CR 617 south to Route 1 northbound to Route 18 southbound
Closed from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday:
- Route 18 northbound right and center lanes
- Ramp from Route 1 northbound to Route 18 northbound
Route 1 northbound to Route 18 northbound Detour:
- Motorists on Route 1 northbound will to continue on Route 1 northbound over the Raritan River to Woodbridge Avenue/CR 514 north. They will cross over Route 1 and take the ramp to Woodbridge Avenue south and then the ramp to Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound
Closed from 11:30 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday, and from 11:30 p.m. Saturday to 8 a.m. Sunday:
- Route 18 northbound left lane
- Ramp from Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound
Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound Detour:
- Motorists on Route 18 northbound coming from the New Jersey Turnpike Exit 9 interchange will stay in the right lane and follow signs for Route 1 northbound. They will continue on Route 1 northbound over the Raritan River to Woodbridge Avenue/CR 514 north. Motorists will cross over Route 1 and take the ramp to Woodbridge Avenue south and then the ramp to Route 1 southbound
The $30 million bridge replacement project is utilizing accelerated bridge construction techniques to minimize impact to motorists. At least two lanes of traffic in each direction will be maintained on Route 18 northbound and Route 18 southbound during daytime construction. 15-minute traffic stoppages may occur during demolition and erection of the bridge. This project is expected to be completed by June 2016.
Portable variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check www.511nj.org for real-time travel information.