Employers' Pensions and Benefits Administration Manual (EPBAM)



Information by Employer Task


Changes in Family Status

When an employee experiences a change in family status, e.g., divorce, marriage, civil union, birth of a child, death of a family member, there may be changes that need to be made that concern pension and health benefits.

Below is a checklist of some areas of concern that should be checked into whenever there is a change in family status.  Each item includes a link to other material in this manual that can serve as a guide to assisting employees in completing necessary changes in health and/or pension benefits designations and coverages.

When a change in family status occurs, should the member:

Submit a new Beneficiary Designation form? (Life Insurance and Death Benefits)

Submit an updated Health Benefits application?

Should the spouse, civil union partner, or eligible same-sex domestic partner of a deceased member be offered COBRA coverage?

Will the member need to take a Leave of Absence to deal with a change in status?






































division (internet use only): p&b home | SHBP home | forms and publications | seminars | contact the division
pension funds : PERS | TPAF | PFRS | SPRS | JRS | ABP | other funds | search
Last Updated: February 26, 2007