The New Jersey Division of Taxation is offering free internet filing of personal income tax returns for this tax season. Most resident returns can be filed using this program, including first-time filers*.
Check to make sure you are eligible to use NJ WebFile.
I’m Eligible - Go directly to NJ WebFile
This is a secure system. Various firewalls and other security protections are part of the program.
Why Should You Use WebFile?
- It's free. If you have access to a personal computer and the Internet, you do not need any additional equipment or software.
- It’s fast. Returns filed using WebFile get into the State processing system in less than 48 hours.
- It’s easy to use. The program guides you through the NJ 1040 return line by line.
- It’s accurate. The program checks information as you enter it to minimize errors.
- It helps you track your return. You’ll know that we received your return before you log off because you’ll receive a confirmation number.
- It helps you with record keeping. You’ll be offered an option to print out a copy of your return before you log off.
- You can speed up your refund. If you combine WebFile with Direct Deposit you’ll receive any refund you are due even sooner. You can check on the status of your refund using the automated refund inquiry system (ARIS) by calling 1-800-323-4400.
- You can file now, pay later. You can opt to use an e-check, credit card or print out a payment voucher and mail it with your payment by April 18, 2016.
*NOTE: First time filers will be required to use direct deposit if due a refund.
WebFile can be used for Refund, Zero Balance and Balance Due Returns.
You can even use WebFile if you claim credit for taxes you paid to other jurisdictions, (e.g. New York)
What you need to get started: