skip to main content skip to main navigation

  • Disaster Assistance Guidance

    Crop insurance is more important than ever for protection against weather hazards and federal disaster payment eligibility. To be eligible for the various federal disaster programs, producers must purchase at least catastrophic risk protection (CAT) level of crop insurance for all insurable crops and/or Noninsurable Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) coverage for all non-insurable crops.

    When a county is declared a disaster by the USDA, eligible famers who qualify can request an Emergency Loan from FSA.

    Emergency Loans -- Qualified farm operators in a disaster designated area are eligible for low interest (3.75 percent) emergency loans from FSA, provided eligibility requirements are met. Producers must have suffered at least a 30-percent loss in crop production or a physical loss to livestock, livestock products, real estate, or chattel property. Farmers in eligible counties have eight months from the date of the declaration to apply for loans to help cover part of their actual losses. FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability. Interested farmers may contact their local USDA Service Centers for further information on eligibility requirements and application procedures for these and other programs. Click here for additional information or contact the state FSA office at (609) 298-3446.

    top of page

  • Emergency Conservation Program

    USDA Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides emergency funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters and for carrying out emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought.  Congress appropriates funding for ECP. Subject to availability of funds, ECP program participants receive cost-share assistance of up to 75 percent of the cost to implement approved emergency conservation practices, as determined by county FSA committees.

    Visit the FSA program page for more information.

    top of page

  • Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, & Farm-raised Fish

    The United States Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency has a program that provides Emergency relief to producers of livestock, honey bees, and farm-raised fish. This program covers losses from disaster such as adverse weather or other conditions, such as blizzards and wildfires not adequately covered by any other disaster program.

    Click here for details on the program.


    top of page

  • Crop Insurance Information

    Buying a crop insurance policy is one risk management option. Producers should always carefully consider how a policy will work in conjunction with their other risk management strategies to insure the best possible outcome each crop year. The USDA sponsored crop insurance program is a public/private partnership that provides protection nationally for over 100 crops, including limited protection plans for ag animal production. Crop insurance has changed drastically, and new and updated policies are much different than the policies available several years ago. These policies offer better protection and are tailored to specific needs of the policyholder. The federal government now offers higher premium subsidies, making crop insurance more affordable.

    Risk Management Agency, USDA

    top of page

  • Farm Risk Plans

    The USDA's Risk Management Agency (RMA) provides an online resource to aid farmers and ranchers in focusing on how to protect against down-side risks, as well as how best to take advantage of up-side opportunities in the market. On this site, producers can complete a risk management checklist, identify their enterprise's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, and explore a wealth of risk management information.
    Click here to go to the USDA's Farm Risk Planning page.

    top of page

  • Coping with Disasters

    The emotional impact of a disaster can have a powerful effect on the mental health of individuals of all ages. If you notice that a loved one, friend or co-worker's behavior has substantially changed, reach out and ask them how they are doing. Please refer to the NJ Dept. of Human Services, Division of Mental Health website for more information:

    If you or someone you know is having a strong emotional reaction that does not subside, trained counselors are available at toll-free 877-294-HELP, to discuss your/their thoughts and feelings.

    top of page