• Is a Notice of LP-Gas Installation form required for all accounts including those where a R1 and R2 are completed as well?
    The Notice of LP-Gas Installation has 3 capacity categories. They are:
    ** Permanent vapor – capacity of 251 but not over 2,000 gallons;
    ** Temporary vapor – capacity of 251 but not over 2,000 gallons; and
    ** Temporary vapor – capacity of 2,001 to 9,999 gallons.

    R1s are for permanent vapor, 2,001 to 9,999 gallons and all liquid transfer up to and including 9,999 gallons.  R2s are for liquid or vapor, 10,000 gallons and greater.  The Notice of LP-Gas Installation category requirements are different from the R1s and R2s. There is no overlap between the 3 forms.  Therefore, if you are submitting a Notice of LP-Gas Installation under one of those 3 categories, then R1s and R2s are not required. And if you are submitting an R1 or R2 form, there is no need to submit the Notice of LP-Gas installation.  The Notice of LP-Gas Installation is for new systems in the 3 categories listed above and the R1 & R2 are for all existing systems.  Please note that the latest version of the Notice of LP-Gas Installation is the one designated as “2003 rev 3”. It is available on the website.
    top of page
  • Do Resellers/Dealers who fill 20 pound cyliders such as Service/Gas Stations need to apply for a Marketer's license? Do they need to have training documentation per NJAC 5:18-10.3?
    These types of resellers are not considered Marketers. Since these are probably R1 registrations, the form requires that the owner of the system to submit the R1 registration form and identify the individuals operating the system and the training program which they have had.
    top of page
  • Have you been able to clarify training requirements based on job title/responsibility?
    A proposal appeared in the December 6, 2004 NJR that would require employees who handle LP Gas to have those CETP certifications that are relevant to the jobs they perform.
    top of page
  • Are plumbing permits required from the local building official when DCA is performing a plan review and the system is registered?
    This would be all liquid service or any vapor service over 2000 GWC aggregate storage.  No, plumbing permits are not required for this type of system installation.

    However, if the project involves the installation of vapor piping inside the building, a plumbing permit is required for this piping.  There is no plumbing permit required for the work outside the building where the DCA/BCS does the plan review and inspections.

    top of page
  • What is the relationship between LP-Gas System, aggregate water capacity and the registration forms?
    LP-Gas System, as defined in 5:18 means: an assembly of one or more containers with a means of conveying LP-Gas from the container(s) to dispensing or consuming devices (either continuously or intermittently) and which incorporates components intended to achieve control of quantity, flow, or pressure in the liquid or vapor state.  More than one container in a System usually means that they are manifolded together.  Aggregate water capacity is the total water capacity of the containers within the System.

    ** Existing 4 – 1,000 gallon tanks at a greenhouse. If these are manifolded together, then an R1 form has to be submitted. Not manifolded together – a Notice of LP-Gas Installation should have been submitted previously.

    ** New 4 - 1,000 gallon tanks, manifolded. Plans must be submitted to DCA for review and approval. Not manifolded – submit a Notice of LP-Gas Installation.
    top of page
  • Who is a System Owner?
    The individual or company who owns the tank and in most cases, also owns the appurtenances associated with the containers.
    top of page
  • What happens after we submit the registrations?
    An inspection will be scheduled. If there are no violations, a sticker will be affixed to each tank noting that this system can be operated.  If there are violations, a violation report will be issued with a timeframe in which to correct the violations. A re-inspection will then be performed.  Tanks will be reinspected annually. Bulk facilities will be audited once every three years.
    top of page
  • Does the Quality Control Manual, as required in NJAC 5:18-9.2, have to be prepared by a Professional Engineer and “sealed”?
    No, the Manual does not have to be “sealed” or prepared by a PE.
    top of page

  • Last Updated:  12-2004
    top of page