Dial “2-1-1” for more information and access to language translation or TTY services.

What does the Federal Fair Housing Act Cover?


The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing on the basis of:

  • Race or Color
  • National origin
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • Familial status
  • Disability

It is illegal to discriminate against persons belonging to any one of the above listed legally protected classes in any of  the following situations:

  • Refusal to rent or sell housing to any person who is legally protected by the Act
  • Setting different terms, conditions, or privileges for a sale or rental to any person who is legally protected by the Act
  • Providing different housing services or facilities to any person who is legally protected by the Act
  • Falsely denying that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental to any person who is legally protected by the Act
  • Refusal to make reasonable accommodations in rules or services for a disabled person, that have been deemed neccessary by a physician
  • Refusal to allow a disabled person to make reasonable accommodations to his/her dwelling
  • Threatening or interfering with anyone making a fair housing complaint


What Should You Do If You Think Your Fair Housing Rights Have Been Violated?

If you think your rights to fair housing have been violated, help is available. Housing discrimination complaints can be filed by phone or in writing, with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and/or with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights.

You can file an online complaint at the HUD website:
Or contact the local HUD office at (800) 496-4294

You may file a complaint with the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights within 180 days of the date of the alleged violation. The complaint must be filed at one of the following regional offices.

South Shore Regional Office
TTY: 609-441-7648

Southern Regional Office
TTY: 973-648-4678

Northern Regional Office
TTY: 973-648-4678

Central Regional Office
TTY: 609-292-1785

When reporting a complaint to the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, be sure to include the following information:

  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against
  • The address of the housing involved
  • A short description of the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation