navigation bar
  New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife
njdep home f&w home
Facebook Logo Instagram logo

Disabled Veteran License Information


Honorably discharged resident veterans of any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States declared by the US Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to have a service-connected disability of any degree qualify for the free hunting and fishing licenses, permits and stamps. The Division of Fish and Wildlife is reimbursed for the cost of these items issued to certified disabled veterans from the state's General Fund.

Eligible veterans must initially be certified by the Division to receive these free licenses, permits and stamps. 'Disabled Veteran Certification' cannot be done online or at license agent locations. Initial certification can done by submitting the required documentation via regular mail to the Trenton address provided on the Disabled Veteran License application. Applicants should include their CID#.

Documents required for initial certification:

1. Proof of service - connected disability (one of the following)

    ♦ Letter of certification of service-connected disability from Veterans Affairs, or
    ♦ Wallet sized card from the VA indicating service-connected disability.

2. Proof of honorable discharge (DD-214 or similar document).

3. New Jersey driver license or other proof of residency.

Once certified, veterans can obtain their licenses, permits and stamps online or at license agents. Licenses, stamps and permits are free and disabled veterans do not pay any transaction fee to license agents. However, when obtaining licenses, stamps and permits through the Internet sales site, a small shipping and handling fee is charged by the online license vendor.

Deer, Bear and Turkey Hunting Permits

Properly licensed certified disabled veterans are entitled to unlimited antlerless permits for each of the Permit Deer Seasons. One free Antlered Deer Permit can be issued for each season as well. Information on obtaining deer permits is provided in the 2021-22 Hunting & Trapping Digest and on the Permit Information page.

Properly licensed certified disabled veterans are also entitled to two free spring turkey permits and one free fall turkey permit during the lottery and additional free permits when leftover permit sales begin. Information on obtaining turkey permits is also provided on the Permit Information page. Certified veterans DO NOT receive preference in the lotteries.

Free bear permits are also available via over-the-counter sales.

Questions can be directed to the Division's Trenton office at 609-292-2965 or e-mail

Disabled Veteran License Application - NJ Residents only (pdf, 165kb)

bottom footer contact dep privacy notice legal statement accessibility statement nj home nj home citizen business government services a to z departments dep home

division of fish & wildlife: home | links | contact f&w
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2021
Department of Environmental Protection
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: February 16, 2021