navigation bar
  New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife
njdep home f&w home
Facebook Logo

Exotic and Nongame Species Permit FAQs


Q. I just purchased a regulated species at a pet store and received a temporary permit. What is my next step?
A. Please print the Individual Hobby Permit application form (pdf, 135kb). Fill it out completely and mail to the address on page 2 with the temporary permit you received from the pet store attached. Please include a $10.00 check or money order if you purchased a mammal, reptile or amphibian or a $20.00 check or money order if you purchased a bird. (Checks and money orders are payable to NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife.)

If you did not purchase the regulated species from a New Jersey pet store, you will not have a temporary permit, so please include copies of all of the documentation you received from the out-of-state seller with your application and correct fee.

If you received the animal from another New Jersey resident, you will need to get a copy of their current year Individual Hobby Permit and send that in with the application and correct fee.

Q. I have an Individual Hobby Permit for the current year and have just purchased another animal to add to it, what is my next step?
A. Please make a copy of your current permit. On the copy, write on it that you would like to add the new regulated species, attach the temporary permit that you received or a copy of the hobby permit from the person you are getting them from and mail that in with the $2.00 amendment fee to:

N.J. Division of Fish and Wildlife
Wildlife Permits Unit
Exotic and Nongame Wildlife Permits
Mail Code 501-03
P.O. Box 420
Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

Q. I have a permit for the current year and I would like to give away the animal as I can no longer care for it. What do I have to give the new owner of the animal?
A. Since the person receiving the regulated species does not have a permit, please make a copy of your current year permit and give it to the person taking the animal(s) from you. They must submit their initial Individual Hobby Permit application (pdf, 135kb) to get their own permit. The copy of your permit must be included when the recipient of the animal(s) sends in their application with the required fee.

Q. The species on my permit has died and I no longer need the permit. What should I do?
A. You can either wait until November to send back your renewal application stating your animal has died and you no longer need a permit, or you can contact the Wildlife Permits Unit at 609-223-6055 or at and let us know what has happened. We will update and archive your information so you won't receive a renewal form for the next year.

Q. The animals listed on my Individual Hobby Permit have bred and I would like to be able to sell the offspring. What is the next step?
A. To keep regulated species as pets in New Jersey, an Individual Hobby Permit is required. They may be bred under an Individual Hobby Permit, but they MAY NOT be sold. Once you decide to sell, then a commercial permit must be obtained.

If you are going to sell directly to individuals in New Jersey, you are required to have a permit. The Pet Shop-Retail Sales Permit application (pdf, 83kb) must be submitted with the $100 fee.

If you are going to sell to pet stores, then a different permit is needed. The Animal Dealer-Wholesale Sales Permit application (pdf, 77kb) must be submitted with the $100 fee.

If you are planning on selling to both individuals and commercial stores or dealers, then both Retail and Wholesale Sales permits are required. Retail or wholesale sales of regulated species is not permitted under an Individual Hobby Permit.

Q. I purchased 2 of the same animal. Do I send in double of the permit amount?
A. The Individual Hobby Permit fee is $10 if it includes only amphibians, reptiles and mammals; the fee is $20 if it includes birds. The fee is for the permit; you do not pay per individual regulated animal. Please send only the specified amount.

Q. I have a name or address change to make on my current permit. How do I let the Division know about it?
A. If you need to make a name change or an address change prior to the mailing of your permit renewal, you may let us know by email what the change is. Please e-mail the Wildlife Permits Unit at

If you have received your renewal notice, please indicate the change on the renewal form and return it to the address provided with the correct fee.

Q. I have moved out of state. Am I still required to have a NJ Exotic and Nongame Species permit?
A. If you have moved out of state, you no longer need a permit in New Jersey. You can either e-mail the Wildlife Permits Unit at with the information, or if you have received and renewal notice, please indicate your address change and return the renewal without the fee to the address provided.

Q. I just purchased a regulated species at the pet store in New Jersey and received a temporary permit, but I live out of state. Do I need an Individual Hobby Permit?
A. No, you do not. An Individual Hobby Permit is only for NJ residents keeping exotic pets in the state.

If your question is not answered above contact the Wildlife Permits Unit at or 609-223-6055.

  Adobe Acrobat Some files on this site require adobe acrobat pdf reader to view. download the free pdf reader  
bottom footer contact dep privacy notice legal statement accessibility statement nj home nj home citizen business government services a to z departments dep home

division of fish & wildlife: home | links | contact f&w
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2017
Department of Environmental Protection
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: September 1, 2017