navigation bar
  New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife
njdep home f&w home
Facebook Logo Instagram logo

Wildlife Management Area Permits


The Division's Bureau of Land Management issues three permits that apply to activities on the state's Wildlife Management Areas. All WMA regulations apply.

Special Use Permits
Field Trial Permits
Group Horseback Riding Permits
Other Permits For Activities on WMAs Not Issued by BLM

Special Use Permits

Special Use Permits are issued under NJSA 7:25-2.22.

  • An application shall be filed with the Division at least 30 days prior to the date of the event/use. *
  • Any group activities, including guided walks, launching kayaks, picnics or sporting events on a WMA of 10 or more people require a Special Use Permit.
  • Activities including, but not limited to the following, require a Special Use Permit: the collection of vegetation or wildlife for research purposes, educational displays, trail maintenance, boat ramp or WMA maintenance, flower planting, soil sampling, environmental monitoring, vending, collecting trash, wetland restoration, running/biking events, festivals, bench and trail marker installation, coastal/wetland assessments, capture and banding of wildlife, memorial installation, use of parking lots for non-WMA activity, Eagle Scout Projects, dog tracking events, and nighttime events.
  • Proof of insurance may be required for certain Special Use Permit activities as indicated on the application form.
Special Use Permit Application (pdf, 380kb)
Please e-mail your completed application to

Some activities require a permit fee; those which do are listed below as follows:

Clubhouse Rental $50.00/day for the use of the facilities only
Clubhouse Rental $100.00/day for the use of the facilities and the surrounding area
Daily Use Permit $2.00/day per vehicle
Daily Use Permit-Bus $10.00/day per bus
Special Use Permit: Commercial/entry fee $100.00/day, plus $1.00 per participant
Special Use Permit: Non-commercial use $50.00/day for the grounds only
Special Use Permit: Non-commercial use $100.00/day for facilities
Construction staging/development (non-public) $700.00/year or $0.15/acre, whichever is greater
Construction staging/development (public agency) $700.00/year or $0.05/acre, whichever is greater
Commercial Photography $325.00/day
Commercial Videos $425.00/day
Commercial Movie $1025.00/day
Student Video/Documentary $55.00/day
* Please note, for some activities a project review by agencies within the Office of Natural and Historic Resources may be required, which could greatly increase the processing time (>6 months) for a Special Use Permit.

Field Trial Permits

Field Trial Permits are issued under NJSA 7:25-2.14. The fee schedule is listed below.

Application Fee $2.00 per application
Trials on State WMAs $50.00 per day
Trials Also Using State Facilities $100.00 per day
Trials on Other Lands Application Fee Only
Bird Transportation Tag Fee $0.25 each

  • Field trials and retrieving field trials may be authorized during the period of February 15 to April 30 and September 1 to October 31; however, field trials and retrieving trials may be authorized for the Assunpink, Colliers Mills and Greenwood WMA only from February 15 through October 31, inclusive. A permit will specify the location within the WMA in which the permitted event shall be conducted.
  • The prospective permittee shall maintain public liability and property damage insurance for the requested period of use, with an insurance company recognized to do business in the State of New Jersey, in the amount of $100,000/$300,000 personal liability and $50,000 property damage. Certificate for such coverage shall be submitted with the application for field trial permits and/or the application for retrieving field trial permits.
Field Trial Permit Application (pdf, 120kb)
Please e-mail your completed application to

Group Horseback Riding Permits

Group Horseback Riding Permits are issued under NJSA 7:25-2.8. The Permits are issued to clubs or organizations daily. The fee for the permit is $75.00 per day. Permittees are responsible and liable for any damage which may occur and shall abide by regulations for use of Wildlife Management Areas. Areas on which horseback riding is currently permitted in designated areas are:

Flatbrook, Paulinskill River* and Whittingham, Sussex County
Black River and Wildcat Ridge*, Morris County
South Branch*, Morris/Hunterdon counties
Alexauken Creek and Capoolong Creek**, Hunterdon County
Assunpink (map), Monmouth County
Colliers Mills and Greenwood, Ocean County
Medford (map), Burlington County
Glassboro, Gloucester County
Winslow, Camden County
Millville, Union Lake and Peaslee, Cumberland County
Higbee Beach* (map) and Tuckahoe (MacNamara), Cape May County
* Horseback riding permitted only on existing and established roads and designated trails on these Wildlife Management Areas.
** Beginning in 2021, horseback riding will not be permitted at Capoolong Creek WMA.
  • The prospective group permittee shall maintain public liability and property damage insurance.
  • The application must be at least five days before the event and include a roster of riders who will be participating in the event.
  • Applications must be accompanied by a statement from the applicant's insurance company specifying the insurance coverage as it applies to the riding of horses on state WMAs.
  • A copy of the valid permit and roster must be in possession of at least one of the participating riders.
Group Horseback Riding Permit Application (pdf, 80kb)
Please e-mail your completed application to

Other Permits For Activities on WMAs Not Issued by BLM
Fishing Tournaments On WMA Waters
Boat Ramp Permit
Permit To Shoot or Hunt From A Stationary Vehicle (pdf, 58kb)

NOTE: ATV use is prohibited in Wildlife Management Areas. However, hunters might be permitted to use ATVs to retrieve a bear but only with approval from Fish and Wildlife’s regional Law Enforcement office at 908-735-8240.

bottom footer contact dep privacy notice legal statement accessibility statement nj home nj home citizen business government services a to z departments dep home

division of fish & wildlife: home | links | contact f&w
department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2020
Department of Environmental Protection
P.O. Box 402
Trenton, NJ 08625-0402

Last Updated: September 30, 2020