Governor Phil Murphy • Lt.Governor Sheila Oliver

NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  

Division of Land Use Regulation
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection

DEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online

NOTE: All webpages and forms listed on this website are being amended in accordance with the December 18, 2017 rule changes. We will be updating these pages as soon as possible. While these updates are in progress, our web pages may contain inaccuracies. Please refer to the appropriate rule for the most accurate and updated regulations for your activity of concern.

Division Information
HomeNews & NoticesForms & ChecklistsMaps & GuidanceLaws & RulesContact Land UseSubscribe to E-Newsletter

PermittingCommon Project TypesFreshwater WetlandsStreams & Rivers (FHA)Coastal AreasTidelandsHighlandsMitigationPermit Extension ActElectronic (E) ServicesApplication Status

Related InformationFederal AgenciesPrograms/Commissions

Telecommunication Towers

  • Overview
  • Freshwater Wetlands
  • Flood Hazard
  • Coastal
  • Tidelands

Telecommunication towers provide vital links for radio, television, telephone and cellular phone communication.  Telecommunication tower construction and/or reconstruction may result in impacts to “special areas” that are regulated by the Department.  Therefore, it is important to closely examine a proposed project relative to the sensitive areas on site.  Special areas can be rudimentarily determined using the Department’s online mapping service, NJ-GeoWeb.  Lastly, construction activities associated with telecommunication towers may require multiple approvals from the Division, depending on the special areas impacted by the project. 

The above tabs provide additional information on permit requirements relating telecommunication tower projects.  For impacts to streams, rivers, lakes, ponds, flood plains, flood ways, riparian zones, please see the "Flood Hazard" tab. For impacts to special coastal areas, please see the "Coastal" tab. For impacts to Freshwater Wetlands, see the "Freshwater Wetlands" tab.  Information on Tidelands can be found by selecting the "Tidelands" tab.

Constructing a telecommunications tower within freshwater wetlands, transition areas, and/or State open waters requires a Freshwater Wetlands (FWW) permit and/or Transition Area Waiver.

Pursuant to N. J.A.C. 7:7A-1.4 "Definitions" for a "Utiility Line", "This term includes a tower or pole required to support a utility line, but does not include a tower or pole that only transmits waves through the air, such as for radio, television, or telephone transmission." As such, freshwater wetlands General Permit (GP) 21 - "Above ground utility lines" is NOT available for this activity. A telecommunication tower which is to be located within a Freshwater Wetlands that is a swale or isolated wetland may be elegible for a GP 7 or GP 6 respectively.

The placement of a telecommunication tower within a State open water and/or freshwater wetlands of any other type would require an Individual Permit (IP). The IP application would need to include a description as to why the project cannot be minimized or relocated outside of regulated areas.

If the tower proposed location is within transition areas only, the project may be eligible for a Transition Area Waiver. (If the transition area is located adjacent to an isolated wetland, a General Permit 6A would apply.)

The construction of a telecommunications tower in a regulated area is a regulated activity under the Flood Hazard Area Control Act Rules (N.J.A.C. 7:13).  If the project is also regulated pursuant to the Coastal Zone Management Rules at N.J.A.C. 7:7, then no separate flood hazard area approval is required.  In these instances, the applicant need only submit a report and plans demonstrating compliance with the Flood Hazard Area Control Act Rules as part of the coastal permit application.

Two permits-by-rule may apply to this activity. In addition to the specific requirements in each permit, activities under either permit-by-rule must also comply with N.J.A.C. 7:13-6.7.

Permit-by-rule 34 at N.J.A.C. 7:13-7.34 authorizes the placement of one or more utility open-frame towers to provide cellphone service or support a utility line. These towers and any associated equipment may not be located within a floodway and must be set back at least 25 feet from any top of bank, unless the project is adjacent to an existing bulkhead, retaining wall, or revetment along a tidal water or impounded fluvial water. Footings much be constructed primarily at or below grade so that the top of the footing is no more than one foot aboveground. Wires and cables supported by the towers must be located at least one foot above the flood hazard area design flood elevation to ensure safety and integrity during a flood. Trees may not be cleared, cut, and/or removed under this permit.

Permit-by-rule 35 at N.J.A.C. 7:13-7.35 authorizes the placement of one or more utility monopole towers. The same requirements apply to permit-by-rule 35 that apply to permit-by-rule 34.

Currently, there are no flood hazard area general permits-by-certification or general permits available for permitting the construction of telecommunications towers.  Should the proposed project not qualify for a permit-by-rule, it may be authorized under a flood hazard area individual permit pursuant to N.J.A.C. 7:13-10, 11, and 12.

Telecommunication tower construction within coastal areas generally requires a permit.  The project may qualify for the below described exemption or General Permit.  If the project does not meet the requirements of the aforementioned authorizations, a CAFRA, Coastal Wetlands, and/or Waterfront Development Individual Permit may be required.

The “Jurisdiction” tab of the "Coastal Areas" webpage can help you determine which areas of your site may be regulated.  The availability of certain permits depends on the project’s location.

Potentially applicable Exemption:

Per N.J.A.C. 7:7-2.2(b)3ii, the construction of telecommunication towers, such as cellular telephone towers, within CAFRA jurisdiction does not require a permit if the tower is located more than 150’ from the mean high water line of any tidal waters or the landward limit of a beach or dune, whichever is most landward.  Please see the aforementioned rule for complete requirements.

Potentially applicable General Permit (GP):

GP 21- authorizes construction of telecommunication towers

Tidelands, also known as riparian lands, are all those lands now or formerly flowed by the mean high tide of a natural waterway; that is to say any land that is currently or was previously covered by tidal waters.  The State of New Jersey, and therefore the people of New Jersey, owns all Tidelands except for those to which it has already sold its interest in the form of a riparian grant.  It is important to note that the State generally does not own artificial waterways such as lagoons however, the State does claim those lands within a lagoon that were flowed by the mean high tide of a natural waterway which existed prior to the creation of the lagoon.

The construction of telecommunication towers that are proposed in a tidelands area may require a tidelands license if the activities are taking place at or below the mean high water line of a tidal waterway or a tidelands grant if the activities are taking place in an area that is currently landward of the mean high water line but was, at some point, flowed by the tide.

A tidelands license is a short term revocable rental document to use tidelands generally for structures such as docks, bulkhead extensions, mooring piles, and other temporary structures as well as for dredging projects. Licenses are project specific and expire after a finite term ranging from one to ten years. Most licenses may be renewed.

For more information on tidelands instruments, please see the tidelands section of this website.

For information and instruction on how to determine whether you are in an area that may require either a license or a grant, or for information how to apply for Tideland instruments please see the "Before you Build, Before you Buy" webpage.

bottom bar

Division: home | news/notices | laws/rules | forms/checklists | maps/guidance | contact
Department: njdep home | about dep | index by topic | programs/units | dep online
Statewide: njhome | citizen | business | government | services A to Z | departments | search

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2018
Last Updated: January 16, 2018