GENERAL PERMIT 2 - Beach and Dune Maintenance Activities
General Permit 2 authorizes beach and dune maintenance activities, such as routine maintenance, emergency post-storm beach restoration, and dune creation and maintenance, provided:
- The activities are conducted in accordance with “Best Management Practices” set forth at N.J.A.C. 7:7-10.2, Standards applicable to routine beach maintenance; 7:7-10.3, Standards applicable to emergency post-storm beach restoration; and 7:7-10.4, Standards applicable to dune creation and maintenance;
- The activities are not conducted in wetlands; and
- Public access to the beach is provided in accordance with the lands and waters subject to Public trust rights rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-9.48, and the Public access rule, N.J.A.C. 7:7-16.9.
Please be advised:
- Per N.J.A.C. 7:7-6.25(b), as of November 5, 2015, the Department shall not approve authorization under this general permit to any municipality that does not have a Department-approved municipal public access plan in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:7-16.9(c) through (m).
- Plans for activities proposed on public park lands may be prepared, signed and sealed by a State Certified Landscape Architect.
- Supplemental documents such as a beach fee schedule, maps and/or surveys should be included in the permit application as appropriate.
Full details are provided at N.J.A.C.7:7-6.2.
If your project does not meet the requirements of the General Permit 2, it may qualify for another General Permit, Permit-by-rule, or an Individual Permit. Additional information on these permit types can be found on the Coastal Permitting page.