New Jersey Department of Education

DOE A to Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z #

Certification & Induction

Educational Services Personnel

Please review the Certification Requirements webpage for a listing of all the areas for Educational Services Personnel.

Educational Services Overview

Educational services certificates are issued to support service personnel, (i.e., school social worker, school psychologist, learning disabilities teacher-consultant, student assistance coordinator, etc.). For most educational services certificates, you may only apply for a standard certificate.


You may apply for the Certificate of Eligibility (CE), Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS), or standard certificates for the following titles.

  • Student Assistance Coordinator (3461)
  • Associate Library Media Specialist (2845)
  • School Library Media Specialist (2855)


New Jersey has a three-step certification process for candidates that hold a Certificate of Eligibility (CE) or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) in Student Assistance Counselor (SAC), School Library Media Specialist (SLMS) and Associate School Library Media Specialist (ASLMS):

Step 1: Establishing Eligibility – Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) or Certificate of Eligibility (CE)

The CEAS/CE permits the applicant to seek and accept employment in positions requiring certification.

Step 2: Legalizing Employment and Induction – Provisional Certificate

A two-year certificate issued to candidates who have met the requirements for initial employment (holder of a CEAS/CE) and registered by their school with the New Jersey Department of Education in the provisional program for the SAC residency and the SLMS/ASLMS residency which leads to standard certification.

Step 3: Becoming Permanently Certified – Standard Certification

A permanent certificate issued to persons who have met all certification requirements.

Emergency Certificates

Emergency Certificates are available for some titles. However, you may not apply for emergency certificates through our office. The school district that wants to hire you will have to apply for an emergency certificate through a local county office of education.

Emergency certificates are available for the following titles:

  • School Nurse/Non-Instructional (3010)
  • School Social Worker (3200)
  • School Counselor (2702)
  • Director of School Counseling Services (0602)
  • School Psychologist (3100)
  • Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (3300)
  • Reading Specialist (3310)
  • Associate Library Media Specialist (2845)
  • School Library Media Specialist (2855)
  • Cooperative Education Coordinator/Hazardous Occupations (3464)
  • Cooperative Education Coordinator (3465)
  • Educational Interpreter: Oral Interpreting (3468)
  • Educational Interpreter:-Sign Language Interpreting (3463)
  • Educational Interpreter:-Cued Speech Transliteration (3469)

Still have questions? Visit our FAQ webpage.