Technology Planning for Digital Learning
"BASIC" Expectations Questions only
Basic Technology Plan Elements Districts Should Have In Place Already
- Is there a vision for digital learning in the district that is shared among all stakeholders?
- Is there an existing robust technological infrastructure that meets current connectivity goals and that can be augmented to meet future demand that is at least 100 KB per student external connection for each 1,000 students and 1000 KB per student internal connection scalable up to 1 GB Ethernet or 1,000 MBPS?
- Is equipment scalable, such as firewalls, switches and routers that form the backbone of both wired and wireless networks?
- Is equitable access to technology and connectivity available to all students within the school grounds?
- Is there efficient routing of information between internal users and external resources?
- Is bandwidth and current Internet usage tracked?
- Is there ongoing coordination when ordering new technologies and maintaining technology between the maintenance department within the district, the lead persons for both educational technology and assistive technology, and all principals?
- Does the district have security software to manage potential hacks, viruses, etc.?
- Is there a security system(s) in place to determine who can automatically enter a district building (i.e., Access control systems, taped video security or proximity readers)?
- Is there digital citizenship support and education available for staff and students?
- Are the needed technical solutions to support the educational environment, both academic and administrative identified and addressed?
- Are IT resources maintained by a reliable and responsible person or firm? For those districts that need additional technical support, does the district collaborate with other districts for shared services to ensure onsite assistance available for online assessments?
- Considering all network equipment (security cameras, wireless devices, desktops, all ports), does the district document all infrastructure setups and IP address schematics?
CURRICULUM, TEACHING, LEARNING AND ASSESSMENT
- Do students collaborate with peers and create original deliverables as an outcome?
- Do all students have ongoing opportunities to collaborate with peers in and outside of school?
- Do students learn from one another, from the teacher and from resources available outside the school walls?
- Do students critically evaluate their work and peer work for continuous improvement?
- Do school administrators understand the difference between relying on a "canned" software package for student learning content and teachers empowering students through the infusion of digital tools to teach with effective instructional pedagogy?
- Considering the district's vision for student learning, do teachers know about the technologies that will help make this type of learning more achievable and through what pedagogical design?
- Are multiple means used by students to demonstrate learning?
- Are teachers infusing standard 8.2 concepts within their lessons?
- Are teachers aware of and/or using effective learning models?
- Are there opportunities for teachers to gauge where they are in preparing for or utilizing a digital learning environment?
- Are barriers identified that impede teachers in effectively infusing technology into instruction?
- Do students have digital portfolios to maintain online collections of their work and objects?
- Are students assessed for meeting Standard 8.0 in grades K-12?
- Does the district have a system in place to assure students in grades 6 through 8 meet Standard 8.0 by the end of grade 8?
- Is the monetary source for all upcoming purchases identified?
- Are the funding sources for recurring services, anticipated purchases, and professional learning (include the technology resources to support the district's technology initiatives) over the next three years identified?
- Does the district have a system in place to determine if what is purchased is actually being used appropriately?
- Is the district using innovative ways to fund educational technologies?