Healthy New Jersey

  • COVID-19 Information
COVID-19 is still active. Wear a mask. Social distance. Stay up to date on vaccine information. Visit:
COVID19 Alert NJDownload free COVID Alert app.
Tropical Storm Ida Recovery

Division of Medicinal Marijuana


How do I open a new ATC?

At this time, the Department of Health is not accepting applications to open additional Alternative Treatment Centers (ATCs). If additional ATCs are needed, the Department will announce and publish the criteria and process to submit applications pursuant to the procedure set forth in regulations. However, the Department cannot consider an ATC application until a notice of request for applications is published.

When will new businesses be allowed to open medicinal marijuana dispensaries?


How many more satellite sites will be added?

Each ATC will make its own business decisions about whether to apply for a waiver to add satellite cultivation or dispensing locations.

What does an ATC have to do to get a waiver for a satellite dispensing or cultivation site and how long will that take?

ATCs would have to submit a written request to the Medicinal Marijuana Program for consideration. Requests would need to be consistent with existing regulations concerning waivers.

When will you allow satellite ATC locations?

It is currently allowed.

Can existing ATCs apply to become for-profit?

The requirement that current ATCs be non-profit entities is established in State law under the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act (CUMMA). As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has recommended amending State law to allow the existing ATCs to become for-profit entities. Changes to State law can only be made by the Legislature and the Governor.

What is the definition of an Alternative Treatment Center (ATC)?

"Alternative Treatment Center" or "ATC" means the permitted alternative treatment center authorized to grow and provide registered qualifying patients with medicinal marijuana and related paraphernalia in accordance with the provisions of the Act. This term shall include the organization’s officers, directors, board members, and employees.

Does an ATC have to have local zoning approval?

The Medicinal Marijuana program rules require ATCs to provide the Department with written verification of a municipal government body in which the ATC will be located. As with other facilities the Department licenses, it is the responsibility of the ATC to work with the local governing body in the municipality they are seeking to locate. Evidence of compliance with local codes and ordinances is also required prior to issuance of a permit.

Will the State do background checks on ATC staff as part for the overall permitting process?

Yes. Fingerprinting and criminal history background checks are required of every owner, director, officer and employee of an ATC.

How do I start my own ATC?

At this time, the state is not accepting applications to open additional Alternative Treatment Centers (ATC). If there is a determination to add ATCs, the Department will publicize the expansion and provide the criteria and process for application. Examples of the examination forms utilized by the existing six ATCs can be found on the Medicinal Marijuana website.

How can I get a job with an ATC?

Contact ATCs directly to inquire about employment opportunities.

Can dispensaries deliver?

The Department is committed to providing this option in the future.

Can I just walk into an ATC without an appointment if I am an approved patient with a card?

Contact your assigned ATC to inquire if they accept walk-ins.  You must have an active MMP Identification Card from the NJ Department of Health in order to enter any alternative treatment Center.

Will I be allowed in the ATC if I forgot my card, but I have an appointment?

No.  A patient/caregiver must have their MMP card to be allowed in the ATC.

Is there a limit to the amount of medicinal marijuana I can purchase from an ATC?

The patient’s approved MMP health care practitioner will determine the proper dosage; however, the maximum amount allowed by law is 3 ounces in a 30 day period unless the patient is terminal in which case there is no limit.

Who can pick up the medicinal marijuana?

Only patients and caregivers are allowed into an ATC to pick up the medicinal marijuana and they must have an ID card from the MMP.

to top