Healthy New Jersey

Division of Medicinal Marijuana

Patient FAQs

What debilitating conditions are approved by the program?

A physician must certify that a patient has an approved debilitating medical condition to participate in the Medicinal Marijuana Program. Approved debilitating medical conditions include:

  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
  • Anxiety
  • Cancer
  • Chronic Pain
  • Dysmenorrhea
  • Glaucoma
  • Inflammatory bowel disease, including Crohn’s disease
  • Intractable skeletal spasticity
  • Migraine
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Opioid Use Disorder
  • Positive status for Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) and Acquired Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Seizure disorder, including epilepsy
  • Terminal illness with prognosis of less than 12 months to live
  • Tourette Syndrome

I have opioid use disorder. Am I eligible to get medicinal marijuana?

Since March 2018, chronic pain related to a musculoskeletal disorder qualifies as a debilitating medical condition for the Medicinal Marijuana Program (MMP).  Included in this chronic pain category is opioid use disorder.  As of January 2019, opioid use disorder qualifies as a standalone debilitating medical condition for the MMP so long as the patient is also undergoing medication-assisted therapy (MAT).  Therefore, opioid use disorder patients are eligible for medicinal marijuana if they suffer from chronic, painful withdrawal symptoms or as an adjunct treatment to their current MAT regimen. 

Can I sign up using a mobile device?

Yes. The registry has recently been updated to allow most major brand name devices to work with the registry. 

The Department is also working to develop an upgraded portal for use by physicians, patients, and caregivers to improve the technology experience for all users. The Department anticipates that this portal will be rolled out in phases beginning in Spring 2019.

When will you eliminate the 10% limit on THC?

The Department is proposing to repeal the regulation that establishes the 10% THC limit. This proposal is subject to the Department regulatory process, which includes a public comment period. The limit cannot be eliminated until the regulatory process is completed and new rules have been adopted.

When can I buy four ounces per month?

The current two-ounce limit on product is set by State law under the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act (CUMMA). As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has recommended amending State law to increase the monthly limit from two to four ounces. Changes to State law can only be made by the Legislature and the Governor.

When will patients be able to register at more than one ATC?

The restriction on patient registration at more than one ATC is established in State law under the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act (CUMMA). As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has recommended amending State law to allow product purchases from any ATC; however, changes to State law can only be made by the Legislature and the Governor.

When will all patients by able to buy edibles?

Currently, edibles are only available for qualifying patients under the age of 18. This restriction is established in State law under the Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act (CUMMA). As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has recommended amendments to the statute to allow all qualifying patients, regardless of age to purchase edibles; however, changes to State law can only be made by the Legislature and the Governor.

Will there be enough supply of product if there are only 5 operating ATCs, no satellites and several new conditions added with a lot of new patients?

With the addition of new debilitating conditions, the ATCs will have to build supply, which may result in some growing pains during the initial expansion period. Existing Alternative Treatment Centers (ATCs) can apply for a waiver to add satellite cultivation and dispensing sites.

Why do I still need a doctor to register me?

Medicinal marijuana requires a physician’s authorization, much like other medications that are provided or prescribed by a doctor.

Can I now grow plants at home?


Will there be home delivery to patients?

The Department is committed to providing that option in the future.

Will wait times for MMP cards decrease?

The Department is expecting rapid growth during the initial expansion period but is committed to ensuring timely service and response to program participants.

I’m a veteran and I just paid $200 to join the program. Can I get a refund?

The registration fee is set through regulations. As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has reduced the registration fee from $200 to $100 effective March 27, 2018. We have also added senior citizens and military veterans to the list of those that are eligible for the reduced fee of $20. Regulations reflecting these changes will be proposed. This action is consistent with Executive Order No. 6 and will not reduce protections or increase regulatory burdens. The reduced fees will be available for all existing patients upon registration renewal. Registry identification cards are valid for a two-year period. Unfortunately, no refunds will be given regulations restrict the granting of application fee refunds if a reduced fee is available on or after the date that a registry identification card is issued.

I have chronic pain that is not related to musculoskeletal disorder or visceral pain. Can I still join the program?

To become a patient in the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana Program, a patient must establish a bona fide relationship with an approved physician and the physician must certify that the patient has one of the approved debilitating conditions. If a patient does not have one of the approved debilitating medical conditions, they would not be eligible to participate in the program.

What is the definition of chronic pain related to musculoskeletal disorder?

The Medicinal Marijuana Review Panel reviewed many petitions related to the category of Chronic Pain Related to Musculoskeletal Disorders. Conditions in this category include, but are not limited to, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and complex regional pain syndrome. Your approved physician can refer to these petitions for guidance on this category of disorders. The list of petitions related to each category is located at the end of the Panel’s letter of recommendation. The petitions and recommendation letter are available for review on the Department’s website at

When will you eliminate the psychiatrist requirement for minors?

The Department is proposing to repeal the regulation that requires “written confirmation from a physician trained in the care of pediatric patients and from a psychiatrist” for a physician to authorize the use of medicinal marijuana for a minor. This proposal is subject to the regulatory process, which includes a public comment period. This requirement cannot be eliminated until the regulatory process is completed and new rules have been adopted.

When will you allow satellite ATC locations?

The restriction on satellite locations is set through regulations. The Department will consider waivers of this regulatory provision in advance of formal rulemaking. The Department is proposing to revise this rule to permit current ATCs to dispense at satellite locations and permit more than one cultivation site per ATC, with Department approval.

How do I find a doctor if you are eliminating the physician registry?

To aid patients new to the program, the Department will continue to maintain a list of physicians on its website for those doctors who want to continue to be listed. But, participation on the list will be optional. The Department will phase out the current physician registry posted on the Department of Health Medicinal Marijuana webpage. The optional list may not represent all of the approved physicians participating in the MMP.

How do I (Patient) register to participate in the program?

A patient must be assessed by a bona fide registered MMP physician who will certify if the patient has an approved debilitating medical condition to participate in the NJ MMP. The physician must complete an Attending Physician Statement for each individual patient. Upon submission of the statement a unique Patient Reference Number will be produced. The physician will need to provide the patient with this Reference Number along with a copy of the attending physician statement. The patient or their designee will go to and complete the following steps to complete the online registration process:

  • Select "Patient Registration" on the left side of the screen of the MMP registry page and carefully read the page of instructions before continuing in the registry.

  • Enter all required information as noted by a "red asterisk".
    • The Patient Reference Number must be included; this is the number that was provided by the physician.
    • Select "Submit" and the Patient Registration page will appear.

  • Complete all required information on the Patient Registration page
    • If applicable, enter primary caregiver information.
      • *Note:  If you need or require a caregiver, please review the caregiver portion of the FAQ’s
    • Read and acknowledge the Patient Certification

  • Check the appropriate box indicating that the terms have been understood.

  • "Save and Continue".

  • Patients will now be required to upload scanned photographs and documents.

What if I do not have the ability to access or utilize a scanner?

If you cannot convert documents to digital format, there are entities such as your local library equipped to assist you in preparing your documents so they may be uploaded into our system.

Is there a fee to register?

Yes. The fee for patients and caregivers is $100 each. Patients and caregivers who are senior citizens, military veterans, or who qualify for the below listed state and federal assistance programs will be eligible to pay a fee of $20 each. The registration period is valid for 2 years.

  • NJ Medicaid Program
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
  • NJ Temporary Disability Insurance benefits (TDI)
  • Supplemental Security Income Benefits (SSI)
  • Social Security Disability Benefits (SSD)

Review examples of sample documents.

How do I pay my registration fee?

Once you have received your confirmation email stating that your registration fee has been set, you will return to the registry at, and select the "Payment" option on the left hand side. You will then have to submit your information, including your reference number. Follow the instructions to proceed with your payment.

What are the fee requirements for legal guardians and minor patients?

Designation as a legal guardian for a qualified minor patient exempts you from the application fee. The required fee for a minor patient is $100; however, if the guardian qualifies for a reduced registration fee, the minor patient would also qualify for the reduced fee. Minor patients may have up to two caregivers.

Will my application be confidential?

A patient’s application will only be available to the patient's registered physician, the NJMMP staff, and ATC personnel.

I’m under the age of 18 and have a listed debilitating disease. Can I register?

Patients under the age of 18 who suffer from an approved debilitating condition are considered minor patients and may register with the Medicinal Marijuana Program (MMP). Minor patients are required to have a legal guardian assume responsibility as their designated caregiver until they are 18 years of age. Up to two caregivers may be registered per patient. Once a patient reaches the age of 18, they will need to re-register as an adult. The patient’s approved MMP physician is required by the Department of Health to complete a minor attestation. This requires written confirmation from both a psychiatrist and a physician trained in the care of pediatric patients.

Where do I find a doctor who has been approved by the MMP?

If your current physician is not registered with the MMP, speak with them about registering with the Medicinal Marijuana Program.  Physicians must be registered with the program in order to certify your eligibility. A list of physicians is available on our website, Under the ‘Patient’ tab, select the option that says ‘Find a Doctor’. This will assist the patient in locating a physician in their area.

What is a bona fide physician-patient relationship?

A bona fide relationship is defined as: a relationship in which the physician has ongoing responsibility for the assessment, care and treatment of a patient’s debilitating medical condition whereby:

  • The physician-patient relationship has existed for at least one year; or
  • The physician has seen and/or assessed the patient for the debilitating medical condition on at least four visits; or
  • The physician assumes responsibility for providing management and care of the patient’s debilitating medical condition after conducting a comprehensive medical history and physical examination, including a personal review of the patient’s medical record maintained by other treating physicians reflecting the patient’s reaction and response to conventional medical therapies.

I possess a medicinal marijuana patient card from another state; may I use it in NJ to obtain medicinal marijuana?

No, to be eligible for the New Jersey Medicinal Marijuana program you must:

  • Maintain a bona fide relationship with a New Jersey physician who is registered and approved by the MMP and,
  • Be certified with a debilitating medical condition by the approved NJ physician and,
  • Be a New Jersey resident.

It is too difficult for me to travel. Can someone help me get medicinal marijuana?

Yes. A qualified patient can designate a primary caregiver who must register with the NJ Medicinal Marijuana Program. Your caregiver can assist you with the procedures necessary to obtain your medicinal marijuana from a selected Alternative Treatment Center.  If someone is only driving you to the Alternative Treatment Center and does not need to assist you inside, it is not necessary to sign up a caregiver. 

Is medicinal marijuana covered by Medicaid or any other health plans?

No, medicinal marijuana is not a covered service under Medicaid or any other health plans in the State of New Jersey.

Where will a qualifying patient be able to smoke medical marijuana?

The Department notes that smoking medicinal marijuana falls within the definition of "smoking" as set forth in the Smoke Free Air Act at N.J.S.A. 26:3D-57, and is therefore subject to the provisions of the Smoke Free Air Act.

Patients may not,

  • Operate, navigate, or be in control of any vehicle, aircraft, railroad train, or stationary heavy equipment vessel while under the influence of marijuana.

Patients may not smoke medicinal marijuana,

  • On a school bus or public form of transportation.
  • In a private vehicle unless the vehicle is not in operation.
  • On any school grounds, in any correctional facility, at any public park or beach, at any recreation center.
  • Any area pursuant to N.J.S.A. 2C:33-13.

How much medicinal marijuana can I get?

Medical marijuana will be packaged in 1/4 or 1/8 ounce denominations. The patient’s physician will determine the proper dosage; however, the maximum amount currently allowed by law is 2 ounces in a 30 day period. As part of the Department of Health’s response to the Governor’s Executive Order No. 6, the Department has recommended amending State law to increase the monthly limit from two to four ounces. Changes to State law can only be made by the Legislature and the Governor.

Can I switch my Alternative Treatment Center?

Yes. You may switch to any operational ATC online at any time.  In order to successfully switch to your ATC of choice,  you must return to, and select the option ‘Change ATC/View ATC Visits’  You will then enter your active patient ID number located on your ID card or you can enter your information as on your attending physician statement. 

Do I have to be registered with a specific ATC to purchase medicinal marijuana or can I go to any ATC provided I’m an approved MMP cardholder.

You must be registered with a specific ATC to purchase your medicinal marijuana.  An ATC will not be able to see your information in the system if you are not registered with them.

If my ID card is lost, stolen, or is damaged what do I do and is there a fee to replace the card?

If a registered patient or registered primary caregiver becomes aware of the theft, loss or destruction of his or her registry ID card, he or she shall notify the MMP within 24 hours after the discovery of the occurrence of the theft, loss, or destruction. The fee to apply for issuance of an ID card replacement is $10.00. If you receive government assistance, and it was verified and approved upon registration, you will qualify for a fee of $5.00.

If I select a new caregiver after registering with the MMP, do I need to get a new ID card?

Yes. To add a caregiver after you have already been approved for the program, you will visit and select “Patient Registration.” You must return your original MMP ID card to us by certified mail, and you will be issued a new card with your caregiver information. Patients may designate up to two caregivers. Once the caregiver is approved, they will be required to pay the registration fee of $100 or, if eligible for a reduced fee, $20. Caregivers who are legal guardians of a minor patient are exempted from the registration fee. The duration of a caregiver’s designation begins on their date of approval by the program and expires on the patient’s listed expiration date. 

When my 30, 60, or 90 day certification for medicinal marijuana expires, do I have to re-register with the program?

No. Patient registration is valid for 2 years. However, upon expiration of your 30, 60, or 90 day certification, your physician must re-assess your condition and determine whether to continue your authorized use of medicinal marijuana for an additional 30, 60, or 90 day period. The physician will be required to log into the registry and update your physician statement.

If my 30, 60, or 90 day certification is expired, will I be able to purchase medicinal marijuana?

No.  A patient must have a current certification in order to make an appointment or purchase medicinal marijuana at their Alternative Treatment Center.

What should I tell my employer if I am subjected to a drug test?

Being a registered patient in the Medicinal Marijuana Program does not mean that you do not have to comply with your employer’s drug testing policies. You should be familiar with your employer’s policies on drug testing and know how it applies to you. Questions about employer policies should be directed to your human resources department.

Can I switch from my current MMP physician to a new MMP registered physician without having to re-register?

Yes, MMP physicians have the ability to accept a registered patient who is currently under the responsibility of another MMP physician. The process is completed by the desired physician through the registry. If your desired MMP physician is unfamiliar with this process they may find the directions under the "Physician Tab" on this website or by clicking HERE.

to top