skip to main contentskip to main navigation
State of New Jersey Deapartment of Human Services title graphic  
Division of Developmental Disabilities

Eligibility for Division-funded Services

In order to receive services funded through the New Jersey Department of Human Services’ Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD), an individual must be determined eligible for Medicaid and determined eligible to receive Division services.  

To be eligible to receive Division-funded services, an individual must meet the functional criteria of having a developmental disability. (See Division Circular #3 or NJSA 30:6D-25(b) and NJAC 10:46). In general, individuals must document that they have a chronic physical and/or intellectual disability: 

  • that manifests in the developmental years, before age 22 
  • is lifelong in nature
  • and substantially limits the individual in at least three of these areas of life activity: self-care; learning; mobility; communication; self-direction; economic self-sufficiency; and the ability to live independently.

To receive Division services, an individual must:

  • apply and become eligible for Medicaid, and must continue to maintain Medicaid eligibility
  • submit the DDD Intake Application and be determined to meet the functional criteria for DDD eligibility
  • establish that New Jersey is her or his primary residence at the time of application

At 18 years of age, individuals may apply for eligibility. At 21 years of age, eligible individuals may receive Division services. 


Application Process

You can begin the application process by completing the DDD Intake Application*, which is available in both English and Spanish:

DDD Intake Application - English

DDD Intake Application - Spanish
Completed forms should be mailed to the Community Services Office that serves the county in which you live. Please address the envelope to Division of Developmental Disabilities Intake.

*A family member or other interested person can assist an individual in completing an application for DDD eligibility, but cannot apply on the individual's behalf.

A parent or legal guardian of a minor or the legal guardian of an adjudicated incapacitated adult may apply for services on the individual's behalf (see Division Circular #3).


Community Services Offices

If you have questions about whether or not you meet the criteria to be eligible for Division of Developmental Disabilities' services, you can contact the Community Services Office that serves the county in which you live.

Division intake staff will discuss your situation and guide you through the application process.


Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) 

If you have questions or a complaint about your privacy rights related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), you can contact a HIPAA Privacy Officer.

There may be additional HIPAA forms which you have to submit. Once you speak with an Intake Worker any additional forms will be included in the packet forwarded to you. 

OPRA - Open Public Records Act NJ Home Logo
Department: DHS Home  |  DHS Services A to Z  |  Consumers & Clients - Individuals and Families  |  Important Resources  |  Divisions & Offices  |  Commissioner & Key Staff  |  Disaster & Emergency Help & Information  |  Press Releases, Public and Legislative Affairs, & Publications  |  Providers & Stakeholders: Contracts, Legal Notices, Licensing, MedComms  |  Get Involved with DHS!  |  Notice of Non-Discrimination  |  Taglines for Language Services
Statewide: NJHome  |  Services A to Z  |  Departments/Agencies  |  FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996 - 2008