Skip to main navigationSkip to News Headlines
Global Navigation
Office of The Attorney General
The State of New Jersey Office of The Attorney General (Dept. of Law & Public Safety) The State of New Jersey NJ Home Services A to Z Departments/Agencies OAG Frequently Asked Questions
OAG Home
OAG Contact
Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control
Division of Consumer Affairs
Division of Criminal Justice
Division on Civil Rights
Division of Gaming Enforcement
Division of Highway Traffic Safety
Division of Law
Juvenile Justice Commission
NJ Racing Commission
State Athletic Control Board
Division of NJ State Police
Victims of Crime Compensation Office
OPRA - Open Public Records Act
Non Profit Information
NJ Parent Link
NJ Start NJ Start Vendor Guides Enroll in NJ Start
OAG Frequently Asked Questions
spacer spacer
spacer spacer

Question & Answers

Can the Attorney General or members of his/her staff provide me with legal advice?

No. The Attorney General is authorized to provide legal advice only to departments, agencies and instrumentalities of State government. State law restricts the Attorney General from providing legal advice to private citizens or organizations. This is reflected in the state law indicating that the Division of Law in the Attorney General's Office is authorized only to counsel agencies of state government. Per N.J.S.A. 52:17A-4 (e) and 52:17A-11.

You may get a referral to a private attorney in your county through the New Jersey Bar Association's referral service.

You may also qualify for free legal advice or representation. For more information, contact Legal Services of New Jersey at 1-888-576-5529 ( or locate the Legal Services office that serves your county at


Where can I find out more about New Jersey state laws?

You may access the New Jersey Legislature home page at The text of statutes may be searched and viewed there.


What agency do I contact to file a Lemon Law complaint about my automobile or wheelchair?

You may contact the Division of Consumer Affairs, Lemon Law Unit at 124 Halsey Street, Newark, New Jersey 07101 or telephone that agency at (973) 504-6200.Here are links for lemon law information on new automobiles, used automobiles and motorized wheelchairs.


Whom should I contact about Megan's Law and the registration of sex offenders?

You may contact your County Prosecutor.
Addresses and telephone numbers of local County Prosecutors

Megan's Law Information


What agency should I contact if I am transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey?

You may contact the Division of State Police, Firearms Bureau at P.O. Box 7068, West Trenton, New Jersey 08648 or call (609) 882-2000, ext. 2487. Visit the NJ State Police FAQs for related questions.


Where do I file a complaint against a mortgage company?

You may file a complaint with the Department of Banking and Insurance, P.O. Box 325, Trenton, New Jersey 08625.


Where do I file a complaint against the Motor Vehicle Commission?

You may write to the Motor Vehicle Commission, Motor Vehicle Commission, Customer Advocacy Office, P.O. Box 403, Trenton, NJ 08666-0403 or telephone that agency at (609) 292-6500 or call (888) 486-3339 (toll free in New Jersey).


What State agency would I contact to discuss child support issues?

You may contact the Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development, Office of Child Support and Paternity Enforcement, P.O. Box 716, Trenton, New Jersey 08625 or call that agency at (609) 588-4533.


Where can I get more information on the New Jersey State Police?

Visit the New Jersey State Police web site at or call (609) 882-2000.


Where can I get more information about becoming a New Jersey State Trooper?

Visit the Division's web site at or call toll-free 877- NJSP-877.


Does New Jersey recognize a valid marriage license from another country?

Yes. For additional information, please contact the Department of Health and Senior Services, Office of Vital Statistics at (609) 292-4087 ext. 505.


Does the Department of Law and Public Safety award any grants to law enforcement agencies, municipalities and other entities or groups?

Yes. List of Federal and State grants


How do I submit an Open Public Records Act (OPRA) request?

Open Public records Act information and request forms can be found here: www.njgov/oag/opra


OAG Home Attorney General's Biography
Attorney General's Biography
Executive Assistant Attorney General
Attorney General's MessageAsk the Attorney General
Contact OAGAbout OAG
OAG NewsOAG Frequently Asked Questions
OAG LibraryEmployment
OAG GrantsProposed Rules
OAG HistoryOAG Services A-Z
OAG Agencies / Programs / Units
AG Event Request Form
Divison of Alcoholic Beverage Control FAQs
Divison on Civil Rights FAQs
Divison of Criminal Justice FAQs
NJ State Ethics Commission FAQs
Divison of Gaming Enforcement FAQs
Divison of Highway Traffic Safety FAQs
NJ Office of the Insurance Fraud Prosecutor FAQs
NJ Racing Commission FAQs
NJ State Athletic Control Board FAQs
NJ State Police FAQs
Victims of Crime Compensation Office FAQs
Naloxone Rebate Request Program...
report tips or information about suspicious activity or behavior...
OAG Social Media Properties OAG on Facebook OAG on YouTube OAG on Twitter OAG on Instagram Flickr OAG on Facebook Official NJ YouTube Channel OAG on Twitter OAG on Instagram Flickr
'Click It or Ticket' Campaign
NJ's Most Wanted Fugitives
Gang Awareness Initiative
DO NOT CALL Information
Protect Your Children by Checking Their Car Seats
NJ Sex Offender Registry
Insurance Fraud? Call: 877-55-FRAUD
NJ Physician and Podiatrist Profile
Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety
Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility Statement
NJ Home Logo
Departmental: OAG Home | Contact OAG | About OAG | OAG News | OAG FAQs
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs
Copyright © State of New Jersey
This page is maintained by OAG Communications. Comments/Questions: email or call 609-292-4925

OAG Home OAG Home